SAU Community

Canada 1993 gtr ready for action

I dont feel like PRP need to be selling torque plates to everyone building an RB though, really the only people that need an RB torque plate are the machinists that might be doing more than one engine/people who understand that building a 1000+hp RB means committing to building engines frequently. Considering machinists should be able to make their own torque plate, Ive always felt like it is a bit of an odd thing to be retailing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I dont feel like PRP need to be selling torque plates to everyone building an RB though, really the only people that need an RB torque plate are the machinists that might be doing more than one engine/people who understand that building a 1000+hp RB means committing to building engines frequently. Considering machinists should be able to make their own torque plate, Ive always felt like it is a bit of an odd thing to be retailing. 

i highly doubt prp has sold a tourque plate to eveyrone building an rb...im the only one witha plate within 1000km around here.  id rather buy a tourque plate i know is going to work proper for the rest of my life than try to build one. makes no sense really.  i have lots of friends that can use it now. when you say rb motor to a machine shop around here they look at you cross eyed and say what. my motors are the only rb engines he has ever seen in his life, and now he has experience with them and will now rent plate when he needs it. really just a big motorcycle engine he said. the machining went like a breeze real good guy. not everyone lives in australia where this stuff is second nature and you have the parts you need and a lot of experienced rb guys in the area to just build a torque plate etc...so i went with something that works. i paid 500 bucks for my plate so for the 45k i have spent on my build so far is was a complete no brainer. im surprised by this response. prp-canada has been nothing but helpful for my build. i already have a long list of people wanting to use it now so was a great investment. cheers

i plan on building lots of engines in the future for people as we are seeing lots of skylines starting to show up in the area, and there is slim to any people that know anything about them down here. so i guess in this case we are the engine builders. once my cars done we are going to market the build like crazy and start building some better more quality r32s in the area. we are just trying to be cool like you guys lol

11 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

.im the only one witha plate within 1000km around here.  id rather buy a tourque plate

I live approximately 1500km to the closest dyno or machinist being in Adelaide, so yeah I can relate. All machining or dyno for me is a 1500 - 2500km exercise. Look up where Alice Springs is, it's pretty much the hellhole furnace of Australia in the middle of two cities 3000km apart. 40c is a moderate day here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BK said:

I live approximately 1500km to the closest dyno or machinist being in Adelaide, so yeah I can relate. All machining or dyno for me is a 1500 - 2500km exercise. Look up where Alice Springs is, it's pretty much the hellhole furnace of Australia in the middle of two cities 3000km apart. 40c is a moderate day here.

i think the heat in your area is a torcher test with the rb. we can get away with very little cooling mods and can usually sit in traffic all day without over heating its just cold here. great weather for turbo motors around here once the sun drops seems like the rb gets another 100hp. dyno pulls always throw big numbers to similar setups in warm areas like australia. just cause of the crisp air.  off topic and correct if wrong,  but i feel like wpc treatment on an entire motor would do great things in australia just by reducing friction and bringing down heat in specific spots like end bearings when blocks are twisting and normal spots where lots of friciton are like rings and buckets are reduced. seems like heat and rpm dont work nice with the rb.

The WPC treatment definitely does seem to have its merits, as it is essentially as mentioned a smaller / finer and faster version of shot peening which in itself is definitely been proven to yield results regarding improvements in strengthening of components. As to helping thermal management, probably not going to help much realistically. WPC probably not required with high end bottom end components either that are already manufactured super strong anyway during their construction. Other areas of thermal management is more of a key focus for reliability.

For reference regarding temps, I was driving the blue 32 yesterday on a bit more of a shakedown test and check during a road tuning session. Out in the west McDonnell ranges section I was averaging about 85c oil and coolant temp and about 70c fuel temp on a day that was 40c temp and 50% relative humidity. Highest EGT I saw on pyro was about 700c under boost at about 140km/h in 4th with 500ish being pretty average on about 30% ethanol at the time.

55 minutes ago, BK said:

The WPC treatment definitely does seem to have its merits, as it is essentially as mentioned a smaller / finer and faster version of shot peening which in itself is definitely been proven to yield results regarding improvements in strengthening of components. As to helping thermal management, probably not going to help much realistically. WPC probably not required with high end bottom end components either that are already manufactured super strong anyway during their construction. Other areas of thermal management is more of a key focus for reliability.

For reference regarding temps, I was driving the blue 32 yesterday on a bit more of a shakedown test and check during a road tuning session. Out in the west McDonnell ranges section I was averaging about 85c oil and coolant temp and about 70c fuel temp on a day that was 40c temp and 50% relative humidity. Highest EGT I saw on pyro was about 700c under boost at about 140km/h in 4th with 500ish being pretty average on about 30% ethanol at the time.

yeah good point ben. i can remember a year where my viscous fan clutch siezed. i took the fan of to get it home. never installed it all summer never over heated once lol. but yeah not smart just saying its fricken cold enough all the time here unless your tracking her cooling and heating up of parts rarely a issue...got some nice things going on today in the shop will keep posted mate!

6 hours ago, BK said:

I think you meant Weldon A2047 ? The one with AN12 fittings ? It'll be fine, but what about the rest of the fuel system like lines ?

Yeee Ben. Well I was just planning on using the hicas lines for now with 8an hard line fittings to run braided to the rail and fpr in bay. Stock fuel tank also with 8an hardline fitting to the hicas lines. And again just a hellcat pump rewired with beefy stuff. Gunna put the flex fuel sensor on the return line I think. Unless you state other wise mate. Cheers

22 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

i highly doubt prp has sold a tourque plate to eveyrone building an rb...im the only one witha plate within 1000km around here.  id rather buy a tourque plate i know is going to work proper for the rest of my life than try to build one. makes no sense really.  i have lots of friends that can use it now. when you say rb motor to a machine shop around here they look at you cross eyed and say what. my motors are the only rb engines he has ever seen in his life, and now he has experience with them and will now rent plate when he needs it. really just a big motorcycle engine he said. the machining went like a breeze real good guy. not everyone lives in australia where this stuff is second nature and you have the parts you need and a lot of experienced rb guys in the area to just build a torque plate etc...so i went with something that works. i paid 500 bucks for my plate so for the 45k i have spent on my build so far is was a complete no brainer. im surprised by this response. prp-canada has been nothing but helpful for my build. i already have a long list of people wanting to use it now so was a great investment. cheers

I feel like you took my post as a bit of a critisicm - I didn't mean it like that, I understand you haven't got access to a dozen different machinists and builders with extensive RB knowledge. I was replying to your comment about not letting your mates use your torque plate and it becoming a giant paperweight because you felt it wasn't right to PRP... Realistically, PRP are very likely targeting engine builders and machinists with those plates, rather than the individual end users. Or atleast they should be, because not every end user needs to own a torque plate. And if that's the case, then PRP would be well aware that those torque plates are going to be hired out and used many times. I dont feel they would have an issue with that, its what torque plates are for. 

But given your replies after that about your plans for letting your mates use it, perhaps I misunderstood what you meant too. So I'll just resume following along quietly!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I feel like you took my post as a bit of a critisicm - I didn't mean it like that, I understand you haven't got access to a dozen different machinists and builders with extensive RB knowledge. I was replying to your comment about not letting your mates use your torque plate and it becoming a giant paperweight because you felt it wasn't right to PRP... Realistically, PRP are very likely targeting engine builders and machinists with those plates, rather than the individual end users. Or atleast they should be, because not every end user needs to own a torque plate. And if that's the case, then PRP would be well aware that those torque plates are going to be hired out and used many times. I dont feel they would have an issue with that, its what torque plates are for. 

But given your replies after that about your plans for letting your mates use it, perhaps I misunderstood what you meant too. So I'll just resume following along quietly!

hey all is well mate no offense taken at all. i see your posts all the time. informative and i always value your posts.

i only said what i said about prp because he has been very good to me with pricing so i just don't want to take business from a guy i know works real hard in tough industry. tom bourque has been great to me and very pleased with his service.

Finally got some stuff done today on the motor, should be firing her up this weekend as we have all the gooodies now to finish. Thanks to ben(bk) for helping out through this learning curve.

B891620A-868F-4A3D-8F28-AFADFAFAAA6A.jpeg

5B3BB502-BD53-4FE4-B8D7-8C6909978D2F.jpeg

• Like 1

Getting closer, also attached the fuel

pump hanger I ended up going with just wondering if anyone else is running the powerhouse triple hanger and could share there thoughts on it👍

ED239413-4EFD-42A2-9C6C-558CFDB330A3.jpeg

9CD9A3FF-BD3B-462A-8FD7-D683AFCFC44F.jpeg

DA5957CF-1403-417B-9D3B-85015913EAF0.jpeg

A49FACFD-B677-489D-AB5E-65E2210729B5.jpeg

we are planning on temporarily running the rear head drain to old rear turbo drain until the new sump ex pan arrives where the fitting is welded on the drivers side front of sump above the ex. any thoughts or opinions always valued! we have to get the car out of the shop soon as we need the bay space for other projects so its time to get her home. so if this rear turbo drain idea will work for now just a simple yes is nice if you know! we are running welded pvc, and 2 lines from breathers to open atmosphere catchcan.

Thanks Duncan I have made this mistake years ago, and yeah no cas using a prp trigger setup. We are using a nitto clear can cover with the oem gasket with the spacers in them. The mechanic wanted to run it open but not my style! I come from a tree equipment background and it makes no sense to me to leave the cover open like some people do. Just silly really.  Stuff like that needs to be kept clean I always thought from dust going in between cam gears and belt...but I dumb Canadian lol still learning lots.  

Also using kelford adjustable cam gears just waiting for them. Got her in today after a little grunt work under the Chinese intake manifold. Can’t wait till the plazma intake shows up and I’ll bin that Chinese one.

B23CE51C-19F2-4D39-AD0C-79BEAC8ACF9C.jpeg

9102EA08-6C90-4026-84B8-786A5D8209F0.jpeg