SAU Community

Canada 1993 gtr ready for action

Conversion complete for the triple plate exedy. Little bit of fab work and some fuel system shinanigans then we will crank this pig and get a small tune on the haltech and tarp it till the weather cracks...

5AB5E5FC-0214-487A-BD96-CF9E073ABEB1.jpeg

663A9D4E-EB84-4E4E-B521-1B6A42775070.jpeg

6F34AB06-851F-4804-8873-C9A2C6630971.jpeg

we are also going to be building some really nice aluminum covers for the front corners of the engine bays. if anyone ever wants any of the stuff we fab up let me know and we can crush em out for yeah. cheers

Well got to about here and decided instead of using the stock location hole for the 3.5 inch pipe we are going to cut a new hole where it seems it wants to go,and cut a piece of metal with a little body work and fill the old intercooler hole. Thoughts? Am I proving my dumb Canadianness by hacking a hole here in my fairly nice gtr? I couldn’t care less but yeah...don’t know what to do here I’m tripping out mates.

316B9C0F-109E-43FB-8E44-8AD1F5A9229B.jpeg

F5511D2A-253D-4EC8-A16A-61742E4173E2.jpeg

1 hour ago, BK said:

I don't think you have much choice

ya the play has been made hole is cut, little bit of room left for a catchcan and a coolant over flow. i got a big sheet of aluminum  4by4by8, a sheet bender, a flat filter the size of a phone...so see what wierdness we come up with. i cant take any credit for the fab work as my buddy rashid is doing this one. his skills are far beyond mine so its best this way for a build that really does mean alot to me. i almost went f**king crazy a couple weeks ago just blokes stabbing back, lots of 2 faced people were in my life. but for my family and my son, i just kept my nose barried and ordered parts and helped in the shop on the build when i was well.trees are crazy stressful so i just stepped away for a bit to get my head right.  i hate what my gtr does to my wallet but love what it does for my soul and couldnt count how many times the old bitch has been there for me after a crap day. cheers mates.

• Like 1

Fricken nuts cold in my end of the woods right not hard to even get outside at all. So tuning again with my son and the mad scientist. Figured ditch some weight and get some space. Deleted abs and used the gktech kit to do the removal properly. Fairly cheap and looks great in bay. Feel like I should do the gktech clutch line now finish the bay up nice.

03462136-2AC0-4221-8A96-0C6170960E48.jpeg

006E7915-6CDE-40BD-ADA3-20763FA5E37B.jpeg

8F867627-56D0-4810-AB93-597584EA3072.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok piping is done, finally got the cam gears in and haltech. now we can finish the motor and fill her up with fluids.  Feeling the vibes now but there a photo there of the prp instructions for the lower timing gear for the trigger kit.  Have a read and let me know if I should grind that tap off. Cheers mates

05A6BDCF-C8E1-4C85-B73A-ECF2F026FCB0.jpeg

E167C397-F772-4051-974A-36F79BF4B70B.jpeg

EBD12B1D-BF78-4FF2-9BBC-C41F62FB6751.jpeg

6C1D15EA-A4F6-4E35-B619-E3CA580B4A4D.jpeg

1CEEA176-98F3-4538-9903-9CB4089E113E.jpeg

6C799E1B-937E-4369-A413-CCFFB17FEBC2.jpeg

2 hours ago, r32-25t said:

You don’t have to grind the tab off, someone tried to get me to do it and i told them no and my car works perfectly 

cheers mate, thanks

You dont HAVE to remove a tooth, but a missing tooth is better. It gives the ECU a reference point, which makes the location of the cam trigger less critical. If you dont remove a tooth, your ECU can count the teeth fine but it doesn't have a reference point to know where home is and it can lose track of exactly where the crank is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unzipped Composites said:

You dont HAVE to remove a tooth, but a missing tooth is better. It gives the ECU a reference point, which makes the location of the cam trigger less critical. If you dont remove a tooth, your ECU can count the teeth fine but it doesn't have a reference point to know where home is and it can lose track of exactly where the crank is.

hmm interesting. great information thanks mate. 

1 hour ago, Unzipped Composites said:

it can lose track of exactly where the crank is.

If that was true there would be no reason to ever run a cam home. If it can do that you have a very poorly setup trigger with bad gaps, inconsistent sensors or both. That's why there is a TDC offset for the cam home. Once this is setup correctly, the engine syncs in startup, the ecu knows what cylinder it's on the cam home is actually just a reset reference. On an elite with no missing teeth you can even tell it to sync from cam then ignore the cam once synced with no missing teeth required to do that.

As you have a Platinum not an Elite, I believe (pretty sure) it doesn't support a missing tooth on crank anyway. The Elite can support lots of different trigger types / patterns and the Platinum supports just one. It uses a 12+1 setup (which in that ECU is configured as a 24+1),

so do not remove a tooth.

The missing teeth seems to be better on 36 tooth crank wheel setups, not on the 12 tooth. Ross triggers say don't remove teeth on 12t but are already missing 2 teeth on a 36t for example. So from their viewpoint missing teeth in crank is only better with a high crank tooth count.

myself personally I run a Ross 12+1 (no missing teeth) trigger setup on the Elite.