SAU Community

Looking for advice he's soaking problem rb26dett

So as the title says I've got a 1990 GTR bone stock when I bought it in my mods are full exhaust intake. also did the turbo split pipe mod.Tomei fuel pump.nismo 600cc injectors. nismo mafs Apex power fc with boost solenoid. Apex i 1.1 head gasket. Metal intake gasket. And brand new HKS GT-rs turbos.  So I'm aiming at upgrading the intercooler and moving the air temp sensor onto it. But my thoughts are is there a flaw in the system will this only be calming the problem down? Or does this happen regularly? I am also aiming towards the turbo split pipe mod possibly destructing the airflow making the turbos work harder thus getting hotter.  Anybody deal with these turbos on stock intake?

46677.jpeg

46680.jpeg

Edited by Koukimonster

Post makes no sense. There's no problem stated. Try again.

And just for info's sake - the air temp sensor on the RB26 plenum does almost nothing. So unless it is getting very very hot indeed, you need not worry about it. And you should not move it onto the intercooler, because that would defeat its true purpose, which appears to be engine protection.

Edited by GTSBoy

Was it doing this before the power fc install? 

Factory gtr Intercooler are pretty good and support decent hp

What is ait intake temp? Have you got a temp probe to do some testing? 

Could be tune related with iat correction issue or cas could be faulty........ Find a good auto electrician/workshop. Internet diagnosis is not the way to solve issues 

1589464118_images(9).jpeg.82b1e94d9ee7cd13ee2fdcca7c33aaf8.jpeg

I think a lot of people don't really understand what that temperature sensor is intended to do .

It was explained to me many years ago that when a turbo engine is worked hard for long periods of time in high gears eventually everything gets well and truly heat soaked . Teams found this out when running at high speed in tarmac rallies for extended periods of time . This was hard to simulate - everything reaching highest temperatures real world , but they found out the hard way with detonated pistons . 

Nissan is not stupid and would not use a water temp probe to measure rapid changes in air temperature .

But if you think about it a water temp probe is an easy way of measuring the temperature of the inlet manifold that is being cooked up over time from sustained high load running .  

Thanks for the reply. Ya I figured the stock intercooler would be find. And everything was put on at the same time. And I took it to get tuned and they couldn't figure it out #700$ later. The voltage coming from the temperature sensor on the power FC is high I can't remember the number exactly. The plenum is definitely getting hotter then usual. I've been leaning towards the stock look under the hood but with more power comes more aftermarket.?

Engine temp is hanging around 174 says the power FC. Found myself in old School laminova radiator/oil cooler/filter relocater no fan shroud yet but a very high-end brushless electric fan. And I'm in WA just north of Seattle. There is a couple tuning shops around here and they are pretty knowledgeable about these motors but the cars have only been legal in the US for 3 or 4 years now.

8 hours ago, Koukimonster said:

Not 174 but 74. witch is low for temp believe is supposed to be 86. I would of preferred the gt-ss but got talked into the RS. 

Apologies for following rant.... 

Now you guys over there have access to gtr's get in contact with some Australian workshops for info as you are all using 10-20 year old stuff that is over priced and out dated. Who ever talked you into gtrs and power fc needs to be slapped back to last century. 

Engine temps should be around 85-90 load pending. Intake can go well over 60 depending on turbo and Intercooler set-up. 

Best thing to do is off load power fc, get a link or haltech and use fresh modern sensors. Will give you proper data and many more features. Can easily diagnose faults with trigger and sensors,  get flex fuel, closed loop boost control and drivability. 

As previously stated about the current sensor, it sounds faulty and is probably copping a lot of hot air off the radiator as there is no shroud.

Who's keen to move to US and open a gtr only shop? Would make a killing over there 

By all means rant on knowledgeable one. I'm just a small time 240 sr20 power guy that moved onto the rb26. The power FC was my choice just because I had one on my SR and I figured it would be easier for me. I'm going to replace the sensor asap and get on making a fan shroud and soon order an stock fitment ARC intercooler. Hopping to just have some fun with the car this summer I realized these turbos are not what I'm looking for I shouldn't have listened to the tuner and gone with the gt-ss. So hopefully later than sooner I'll throw these aside and save them for a bigger build. And the problem with over here in the US is 95% of the people that buy these old GTRs are broke lol?

Well to be fair unless you are outside the 95th percentile there are better ways of spending money than arc intercoolers. Mostly keeping the stock one but if you must there are excellent I/C's at near on half the price.

The difficulty (with this forum, as with others) is that it's been around for many years and in that time technology has changed hugely. There are advocates for that new tech and others who are happy mixing old and new.  Those who recommend new stuff can get a bit evangelical about it all, usually with good reason. For example a big single new tech turbo will be much, much better than a set of HKS twins. Just like a new ECU will be much better than a Power FC. But at the end of the day its your car and you want what you want, and you dont really have to justify your preference to anyone. Me, I've got twins and a Power FC which is due to be replaced. Sure it would go much harder with a single but I just dont care.

Might be a 95.1 ?.Preference indeed I know there's better and cheaper but the HP numbers I am looking for are not outrageous. And people have been pulling it off with these old parts for years. Also in my area the stock look keeps the price of the car and it is how I like it to look even though in the long run I know it makes things harder more horsepower you want. And I realized before I bought it that the apexi power FC was out of date but I got it as a bundle deal so I figured I would use it.

5 hours ago, Koukimonster said:

By all means rant on knowledgeable one. I'm just a small time 240 sr20 power guy that moved onto the rb26. The power FC was my choice just because I had one on my SR and I figured it would be easier for me. I'm going to replace the sensor asap and get on making a fan shroud and soon order an stock fitment ARC intercooler. Hopping to just have some fun with the car this summer I realized these turbos are not what I'm looking for I shouldn't have listened to the tuner and gone with the gt-ss. So hopefully later than sooner I'll throw these aside and save them for a bigger build. And the problem with over here in the US is 95% of the people that buy these old GTRs are broke lol?

Anyone who buys a GTR will soon be broke if they weren't to start with!!

Next turbo should be a modern single.

• 2 months later...