SAU Community

ZF 8HP Conversion?

5 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

CT too expensive and more complicated to repair etc 

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

But back on topic, I gave @ActionDan that crazy idea and I hope he does it and capitalises on it!

Alternative to a sequential, for those sub 1000hp lol.

It's not a 5 second job, but the idea really has merit. The key is tuning which swapping to a Z32 or CD box doesn't have beyond some consideration to gearing. 

Plus it could rule me out from ever doing WTAC clubsprint, though I guess I could always remove it for that event 0_0.

In the end though, I have no idea how realistic that even is. 

Thinking about reg's, if I wanted to do say a bathurst enduro or other types of racing around the place, would a box like that rule me out of most things? 

56 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Thinking about reg's, if I wanted to do say a bathurst enduro or other types of racing around the place, would a box like that rule me out of most things?

The problem with trying to build a car to regs for different classes doesn't work. I've looked at it before to try and make a sprint/hill climb, drift and targa car but too many compromises to meet reg's and it would not have been competitive for any of them.

You have a lot of sprint based stuff around that really don't have regs so build a car for that is competitive for that style. WTAC now seems out of reach for a s13 to compete in when Honda's and i30N are are going sub 1:43. 

Having a good chat with HTG tonight.

- They use factory torque convertor. 

- They have spun them happily up to 9k rpm, revs depends more on engine/flex plate balance. 

- They suggest only OEM oil and a transcooler I enough keep them happy.

- Adapting a flex plate to the TC is apparently quite easy. 

- They can source and ship everything.

- The GCU talks CAN bus and has been tested with Haltech all OK. 

- GCU is 975 euro, approx 1.6k AUD.

See image re comments on up and down shift functions.

Screenshot_20200128-214728_Messenger.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

The problem with trying to build a car to regs for different classes doesn't work. I've looked at it before to try and make a sprint/hill climb, drift and targa car but too many compromises to meet reg's and it would not have been competitive for any of them.

You have a lot of sprint based stuff around that really don't have regs so build a car for that is competitive for that style. WTAC now seems out of reach for a s13 to compete in when Honda's and i30N are are going sub 1:43. 

Who said S13 ;)

I was planning on sourcing an s14/15 shell for the new engine.

Also no plans to win lol just be there.

Edited by ActionDan

On the above, it's more cost effective for me to buy another Silvia with 5 stud, a RB/Z32 box, Evo/Brembo brakes, already wide enough for 10" rims, full cage, better e85 friendly fuel system all already done than it is to buy those things for my car and do the work to install them. I then have a complete running S13 to sell as well. I've done the numbers. 

Everything listed there are things I consider required to stand up to the new motor. I may still do that work to my car instead given I've had it for 9-10yrs so selling it seems odd, but financially it makes much more sense to buy a complete car or a car minus a motor. 

26 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Just wondering, why do people think Silvia's are not competitive in WTAC Clubsprint now? 

My engine builder was also talking about how Honda's have taken over and are favoured by the rules.

Easier and cheaper to achieve higher ppwer to weight ratio in a lawnmower than a Silvia without a RB swap or a 20k+ SR22VET.

Also you can't cut the guards to fit wider wheels in IIRC.

Maybe depends on the work? 

All I did was take out some of the guard lip, then re-seal the 2 skins and fit the flares. 

Given my weight it seems I could use a 295.

Realistically though, chances of me making it to WTAC given the cost to run the event, is slim, I just don't want to rule it out completely as I think it would be a real experience. 

From memory (and chatting to a friend who entered clubsprint) it was something like you can't *replace* a guard with a factory guard, i.e a bolt on front flare is disqualified, but cutting up a rear OEM guard to add a fibreglass extension *was* allowed. This resulted in some dumb cutting of an OEM front guard to make it fit the same space that a bolt on replacement would not fit.

I don't think there's much "wrong" with a S13 given how well they have done with the MCA car. Some cars are easier to drive than others and old R and S chassis require a bit more from a driver than a more modern vehicle.

Turbo hondas have always been a force to be reckoned with for any clubsprint event, and so have evos. When you look at SMP it'd be like holding a track day at PI, that may or may not assist certain cars over others.

• 1 year later...