SAU Community

Rb30 Cam Question

Brettwhite

I have an R34 Gtt running 750bhp it has a forged RB30 bottom end with a neo head. The head currently has Tomie poncams type a fitted and thats all.the mods it has in the head

Im looking at fitting a set of camtech 272 duration 9 lift cams with tomei springs 

Does anyone have any experience with these cams and also what changes should i expect from.the car power and delivery wise.

Are there any other drop in cams worth looking at

What do you use your car for? No I haven't used those cams but I would expect that with tuning you will get a small power increase with the power shifted to the right (higher revs) so great for track car or drag car but probably a downgrade for a street car. I would think 750bhp on a 2wd car would keep your wheels spinning already!

• Like 1

Hi mate, its a Street and track day car. She doesnt get launched as traction is an issue but 2nd gear upwards she shifts pretty quick if you change right you can get it done without a lot of slip.

Shes fun ??

Im.currently revving to 9k 

Im hoping with the cams and the change from 3" downpipe to 4" downpipe ( turbo is a 4" v band hot side and goes straight to 3") i should get some nice drivable gains, the current 3" downpipe wont let the car boost past 1.4bar as its restricting flow and blowing open 50mm wastegate, shes struggling to breath right now

20190727_121604.jpg

Edited by Brettwhite

On 1/31/2020 at 8:27 PM, Brettwhite said:

I have an R34 Gtt running 750bhp it has a forged RB30 bottom end with a neo head. The head currently has Tomie poncams type a fitted and thats all.the mods it has in the head

Sounds like a weapon.  Must be nearly tractionless!  Car pics in your intro thread look good, lot of work involved as many here on SAU can testify.

Could you post up in the RB30 dyno results with sheets? It helps bring things together, allows easier comparison of setups. Being from UK, were you quoting 750 "derived" crankshaft hp, or is that at the wheels?

If you want more high rpm breathing capability, those mods should push things that way.

If you're currently running it to 9000, based on the dyno sheet, begs the question of why?  It's done its best by 7000 and torque is falling at that point.

Sticking with a stock RB30 crankshaft, or have you spent on a fully counterweighted crank?

• Like 2