SAU Community

White substance on exhaust manifold and smoke

Hello! 

Nothing is wrong with my car, all gauges read correctly, the car fees responsive, and it overall is functional and great. 

However, with the cold temperatures, I noticed there is smoke coming out of my hood (the hood is vented) but I thought it must’ve been my valve cover filters that are venting to the atmosphere. I checked and to my surprise I found a whole substance on the exhaust manifold and turbo flange. I’m guessing it might be a leak? What do you guys think? 

6E84B4BA-3DC8-4A50-9A9A-342B7576D9C2.jpeg

Im going to take a guess that hose is leaking. Id be rerouting that quickly. I have found out the hard way what happens when braided line touches red hot manifold before, not pretty.

Does the white substance wipe away or is it hard and crusty? (Could be someone has used exhaust putty on that flange).

My third theory is it's cocaine, you could try snorting it and reporting back.

15 hours ago, admS15 said:

Im going to take a guess that hose is leaking. Id be rerouting that quickly. I have found out the hard way what happens when braided line touches red hot manifold before, not pretty.

Does the white substance wipe away or is it hard and crusty? (Could be someone has used exhaust putty on that flange).

My third theory is it's cocaine, you could try snorting it and reporting back.

Hello, I’ll reroute it to make sure. The coolant line doesn’t tough the exhaust manifold. 

The white substance does wipe away, some of it is harder to wipe (kind of crusty) but it does wipe away.

I snorted it as well and it didn’t fee like the usual cocaine... hah

14 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Dude, you can't have stuff touching the exhaust manifold.

You realise inside that stainless braid is plastic?

That is just crazy

Yes, I understand. I’ll make sure to change that! 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kowalatea said:

I second this course of action 

Not only did I snot this once, by twice just to make sure :) 

i replaced and rerouted the line. It was leaking on the hot exhaust manifold and the exhaust manifold was installed with putty. 

It is all good now! 
Thanks!

This is mad mad mad crazy! thats how coolant looks when its cooked. you can NEVER have anything touch your exhaust manifold, fix that shit ASAP. that line is more than likely fu*ked and i suggest buying a new line...