SAU Community

BK's eternal money pit build - 1989 R32 GTR single turbo

BK

On 04/08/2021 at 7:07 AM, PLYNX said:

Wait  . . . is that the Mission Impossible theme music I hear playing ?

And the credits now roll !

Congratulations that's a serious amount of mambo there !

Now you can just sit there and do nothing . . . . cause its finished  . . . . . right . . . . ? 

I wish !

Nope, keeping track of the 3 GTR's is almost a full time job in itself.

-This car is ready for competition in 3 weeks, so minor prep required.

-The 33 GTR needs to be checked over and prepared for competition in 3 weeks also.

-The other white 32 engine has to come out and rebuilt after failing on the dyno, so Mission Impossible 2 intro theme is only just beginning...

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 6:41 PM, SiR_RB said:

Any updates on the failed engine 

what did you find etc 

replied in the white car thread.

On 06/08/2021 at 10:14 PM, r32-25t said:

What’s the review of the first drive?

As I mentioned earlier the first drive was in the rain on RS4s, which was interesting...thank god for the Quaife front and rear diffs !

After a few more drives I am convinced - the car is bloody perfect. Handles brilliantly, drives nicely, sounds unreal and has more power than anyone needs, so I am so glad I went the 6466 on the 2.8 instead of the 6870 as originally intended.

This is more than enough power for this car ( and me ! ) - I don't think I'll ever need to chase more power ever.

The Red Centre Nats 07 meeting in 7 days time will be interesting, as this car is entered into the Drag racing and the Motorkhana. Hopefully be able to squeeze a 9 out of it on the strip, but I'm actually more exited about how it'll go on the Motorkhana. I won this event last year in my 33 GTR which will be also back to defend it's title.

It'll be interesting to see how a 330kw twin low mount GTR with the 33 compares to this with the single 600kw+ tune on the same track. First thing will be just to keep them out of the walls !

I personally think the 33 will still be faster on the tight stuff.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid car dropped all it's coolant on the first run of the weekend at the drags, so no Motorkhana for the 32 in 2021. Intake side will have to come out as it leaking down there somewhere.

Still managed to go 138mph at 10.9 on that run - with a totally stuffed up 60ft of 2.2 ! Actually I'm not even sure I was full throttle ?! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Old man has been working on the car without telling me, intake side is all pulled down.

As suspected (sort of), where the rear heater hoses connect to the block above the starter motor the block off plug was blown off on the 2nd unused port.

"Proceeds to give oneself a triple uppercut"😤

On 11/09/2021 at 9:09 AM, BK said:

You've quoted, it's not going away now !

Seriously though more power than this I think requires a hell of a lot of compromises.

Which are?

gearbags and what not?

On 11/09/2021 at 9:31 AM, Piggaz said:

Which are?

gearbags and what not?

Yes and no. More from engine reliability, longevity and delivery point of view. More power definitely equals shorter engine lifespan between teardowns. Cue billet blocks and dry sump setups to combat this, which I'm not to keen on doing.

Driveline Torque capacity is obviously always an issue on a GTR. I'm Pretty confident in the current setup with Quaife front and rear diffs, 31 spline rear upgrade and the straight cut dog box. Rear axles would be first to go in my opinion

Biggest thing is more power means larger turbo - larger turbo means power band delivery gets narrower. Start chasing your tail with 3+ litre capacity strokers to combat this, which also I'm not so keen on doing.

Like you've said yourself before the world's going a bit nuts with how much power you can extract from engines nowadays.

A reality check on what you're trying to achieve is always a sensible approach to gauge how much power is really enough.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 10:12 AM, BK said:

Yes and no. More from engine reliability, longevity and delivery point of view. More power definitely equals shorter engine lifespan between teardowns. Cue billet blocks and dry sump setups to combat this, which I'm not to keen on doing.

Driveline Torque capacity is obviously always an issue on a GTR. I'm Pretty confident in the current setup with Quaife front and rear diffs, 31 spline rear upgrade and the straight cut dog box. Rear axles would be first to go in my opinion

Biggest thing is more power means larger turbo - larger turbo means power band delivery gets narrower. Start chasing your tail with 3+ litre capacity strokers to combat this, which also I'm not so keen on doing.

Like you've said yourself before the world's going a bit nuts with how much power you can extract from engines nowadays.

A reality check on what you're trying to achieve is always a sensible approach to gauge how much power is really enough.

You're starting to sound like a 40+ year old....  

Don't worry, I feel you!  Doesn't stop one from buying parts they want not need however...

• Haha 2

On 22/09/2021 at 9:21 PM, Shoota_77 said:

You're starting to sound like a 40+ year old....  

Don't worry, I feel you!  Doesn't stop one from buying parts they want not need however...

Don't say that shit - I got depressed when I turned 30 !

I was 42 on Sunday... 😭

• Like 1