SAU Community

R34 Neo AAC / IACV / Coldstart Valve has coolant line blocked

CowsWithGuns

Hey all. I've slowly been learning my way around my car and was always suspicious of the coolant piping coming from my AAC - it just looked wrong. And, it turns out it is - this picture is of my current setup. Notice the 3rd line has been blocked off.

84613925_552114178735314_5158729272705155072_n.thumb.jpg.928bec2a31df10f1e55cf69e62a5062a.jpg

My questions are as follows:

1) Why would someone do this?

2) Where is the first line meant to go exactly? I deduced from other threads/images that the middle line goes to the throttle body (currently my first line does) and the 3rd line goes to the manifold (currently my second line does), but I can't figure out where that 1st line is meant to go to.

If there isn't any obvious reason for this set up I would like to reroute the lines to their usual spot. Probably unrelated, but I stall after revving and have idle issues, and I know this coolant affects an air flow valve hence my interest.

It might have been blocked off because it was giving trouble and previous owner too stupid to fix it properly.

There's a wax pellet cold fast idle valve in there that is heated by the coolant. It will get hot anyway, after the inlet manifold gets hot, it's just slower to heat up.

The one on the right bends straight down from where it is plugged, goes down a few inches onto an upward facing nipple on the water gallery that runs along the top of the inlet manifold.

The middle one goes down and back, to I think the line that services the turbo.

The one closest to the IACV connects to the back port on the TB passthrough.

That's the way mine are hooked up, and they have not been changed.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks GTSBoy, really appreciated. I definitely want to fix this, my car stays at high idle for an absurdly long time. I know where the TB coolant line and the manifold gallery nipple is, but I still can't figure out where the third line should end from your explanation. Would you be able to post a picture of your setup please?

4 minutes ago, CowsWithGuns said:

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup please?

No, because you can't see down there. It's a tangled mess of hoses. You've got the heater hoses both there, plus a couple of others.

I can take a look and see if I can work out exactly which line it hooks up to. I think it is the steel tube that comes around the back of the engine from the turbo.

There are drawings in the manual that show these pipe and hoses.

Edited by GTSBoy

Had a look see.

The middle hose actually goes down to a nipple that comes off the heater hose offtake. At the very back lower corner of the inlet manifold there is a heater hose sized nipple sticking out sideways, pointing more or less at the bottom of the brake booster. There is another smaller nipple off the back of that, facing towards the firewall. That's where the middle hose goes.

Between your explanation and this diagram I just found, I'm ready to hose it up. Cheers mate.

Edit: I found my problem. That T junction with the nipple has been replaced with a plain T junction from bunnings, no nipple. Someones done some strange stuff to this car...

image.png.c284f691d673a5853ec7f1a83c6e3b68.png

Edited by CowsWithGuns