SAU Community

Is it me or have 32-34 GTR prices gone bonkers in Japan?

MHHJ

Yuh, but spending $100k on fixing/playing with a GTR <> it being either worth $100k or selling for $100k. Arguably, if you spent $100k all up and then sold it for that, you would be in the very extreme minority of people ever to come close to recouping what was spent on the car. Only those cars that have super appreciated (old Ferraris, GTHOs, etc) would have stood much chance in the past.

Regardless, I still think that if/when R32 GTRs are selling for that much money again, it will be almost exclusively to Americans and we will never see that car again.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Yuh, but spending $100k on fixing/playing with a GTR <> it being either worth $100k or selling for $100k. Arguably, if you spent $100k all up and then sold it for that, you would be in the very extreme minority of people ever to come close to recouping what was spent on the car. Only those cars that have super appreciated (old Ferraris, GTHOs, etc) would have stood much chance in the past.

Regardless, I still think that if/when R32 GTRs are selling for that much money again, it will be almost exclusively to Americans and we will never see that car again.

true... looking at the current ausi market, people are quite desperate to get their hands on an GTR. as R34 has gone above 100k easy. & R33 does not have any significant history & looks wise not the best. people are opting for R32. I had a seller advertised one for 57K in VIC & we agreed for 55K, he came back next day saying his partner doesnt agree on the price and increased it to 67K. I see cars close to 100K on carsales. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, GTSBoy said:

That's good for a giggle. It's no GTHO.

This is where i think people have it wrong. 
You give me the cleanest, best condition GTHO and i'll pay you maybe 50-100k (gun to my head). 
You find me a 400R or LM Limited that i love and i'll pay way into the hundreds of thousands. 

I believe there's an entire generation (that i'm in) that couldn't care less about 70s muscle, but will put themselves into eye watering debt for their favourite 90s JDM icon.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I would pay 10x R32 GTR asking prices for a clean '69 Camaro RS CS.

But I was being quite tongue in cheek over the GTHO comment. Half mil for one of those was f**king stupid, as it is for dirty old Dattos.

Oh sorry. i missed your sarcasm. lol
I do agree though that prices of these cars is not tied to their actual technical capabilities and more to the owners (or potential owners) willingness to pay to have the ultimate dream car of their own. (not that I can talk of course, but at least I was early).

On 09/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, GTSBoy said:

That's good for a giggle. It's no GTHO.

Another peanut....

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-nissan-skyline-gt-r-m-spec-nur-bnr34-manual-4wd/SSE-AD-6793939?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6793939

I remember when the Nur was falling below $70k. Wow.

Those kms if true are pretty amazing though. Worth $600K? Probably not but as @Steve85 said, I'd pay that on a 34  Nur that I would enjoy driving compared before I spent it on a clapped out GTHO that only feels fast because it's as dangerous AF!

• Like 1

Speaking of GTHO's the one that sold at auction this month for $400K with NO MOTOR has landed here in Shepparton with an amazing body builder to bring it back to original spec. He's getting rid of the god-awful wheel arch flares thankfully.

clap1.jpg

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

This is why old 60s and 70s cars are boss. Not that they are fast. It's just the mabo of it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nhkuJuBzI

Jump to 1m25s.

not my thing. V8s just don't do it for me audibly. 5 or 10 cylinders is my jam. A V8 just doesn't get my blood pumping.

27 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

not my thing. V8s just don't do it for me audibly. 5 or 10 cylinders is my jam. A V8 just doesn't get my blood pumping.

Combine the two! ;)

Everyone seems to pay big dollars for shitty cars their parents wanted when they were growing up.

This is the cycle of life. The GTR is significantly bettererer than any GT-ho, and equally as good a use of the dollars.

not a good use, mind you

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

being from canada so close to the states, the moment that 89 gtr's were legal in the states they pretty much disappeared from canada. everyone sold there gtr and made a ton of money on them. some poeple were smart and bought many of them and actually got quite rich from the craz of shops wanting gtr's the moment they were legal. i think the price of them is way higher around here than anywhere. there is rusted out junk selling for 30k canadian. this however is not junk but check out the price on this 34 from canada. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1999-nissan-skyline-r34-gtr-vspec/1534025023

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
  • Like 1

that being said they are becoming quite rare in canada again and people are now paying a ton of money for them from japan again. maybe also a contributing factor on this issue of why they are so highly priced from there home in japan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, BK said:

I really think Vspec is just a joint where people store their GTR's and maybe use them once or twice, but advertise them for stonks. If it sells, great, another sucker. If it doesn't, oh well, its an asset to add to my collection of crumbling new apartment buildings.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 10/02/2020 at 11:36 PM, 20thousandRPM said:

This cannot be possibly sustainable right? I mean it has to burst like Bitcoin... At this stage US customers can only import 1995 R33 GTRs and earlier. There is still 1996-2002 left! Are we going to see prices go even higher? At some stage the market has to level out. I am seeing R34 GTRs priced more than R35 ones now. It's just madness.

How's the Bitcoin burst going now? 

• Like 2