SAU Community

Issues with fitting new wheels on R34 Skyline

My current wheels have cracked so I've finally bought a new set of wheels that I've eyeing for a while. Problem is, the wheels are apparently too big. My current wheels are 18x8 (+38) on the front, and 18x9 (+22) on the rear. My new wheels are 18x10 (+38) all around, and while the rears fit just fine the fronts are hitting the J arms with no space to spare whatsoever. I've put a 10mm spacer to test how much space I'd get and estimated that I'd need another 10-15mm to get the same amount of space between the wheel and the J arm that my 18x8 wheels have. But even without the spacer the wheels stick out past the fender by 25mm, and adding 20-25mm spacers will make it poke out far too much and be too obvious for cops to pull me over and defect me.

My only solutions at the moment are 20-25mm bolt on spacers, and also possibly adjustable camber arms to adjust the camber just enough so that the poke isn't that obvious.

Is there anything else I can do about this? The wheels can't be returned or exchanged. It's just the two front wheels that are the issue. 

Do you know how to calculate how much wheel sticks out and how much wheel sticks in from the hub face, for a given width and offset?

If you do, then you have all the information you need, in your first post, to tell you how a 9" wheel at +30 and +38 offset will sit compared to the ones you have now.

If you don't, then there are plenty of offset calculator app websites that will do the arithmetic for you.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Do you know how to calculate how much wheel sticks out and how much wheel sticks in from the hub face, for a given width and offset?

If you do, then you have all the information you need, in your first post, to tell you how a 9" wheel at +30 and +38 offset will sit compared to the ones you have now.

If you don't, then there are plenty of offset calculator app websites that will do the arithmetic for you.

50 minutes ago, Moshpit95 said:

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html this is a tool I got from one of the other wheel posts - it's great to check clearances both sides. 18x9+30 should be sweet on a 34 - I was running 18x9.5+15 all round before.

Where did you get the wheels from? 

I used the offset calculator and it says that with the 18x9 +30 wheels the clearance from the strut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 5mm less, and the outside edge of the wheel will extend an extra 21mm.

I bought the wheels from JDM Concept's website

Edited by sparksflynn

11 minutes ago, sparksflynn said:

I used the offset calculator and it says that with the 18x9 +30 wheels the clearance from the strut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 5mm less, and the outside edge of the wheel will extend an extra 21mm.

I bought the wheels from JDM Concept's website

Yeah that would be going from your original wheels, from the 10+38 to 9+30 youll get 21mm MORE clearance and will RETRACT 5mm toward the body.

go to the last page you can see a yellow skyline running the front 9+30 and rear 10+38 from JDM Concept.

What colour / style are they because I'm actually looking at getting some through them later this year..

31 minutes ago, Moshpit95 said:

Yeah that would be going from your original wheels, from the 10+38 to 9+30 youll get 21mm MORE clearance and will RETRACT 5mm toward the body.

go to the last page you can see a yellow skyline running the front 9+30 and rear 10+38 from JDM Concept.

What colour / style are they because I'm actually looking at getting some through them later this year..

I got the 1P GT5s in bronze, which is actually the same wheels that the yellow skyline in the linked discussion has. They're quite nice in person. I've test-fitted the 18x10 +38 on the rears and it fits flush on my 4-door R34 compared to the way it fits on the yellow skyline, most likely because of the flared fender. 

Edited by sparksflynn

18x9 +30 can fit without issues. I have them on my car. I have rolled guards and 265's all round. It is very tight.

However, they definitely will, absolutely, fit. I would say a 18x9 +38 on the front would be pushing it to the point where it will both look worse and also not fit. So fk that off.