SAU Community

Leaking gas

Hello all. I have a 93 skyline gtst. Gas leaks from the left of the white nipple that you see in the picture. It goes from full tank and leaves me with a quarter tank and does this within a matter of hours.  When it leaks its a small steady stream until my tank is down to a quarter. I plan on putting the car on a ramp this weekend but wanted opinions on where it may be coming from? A leaky hose,  seal? I'm mechanically inclined but is this an easy job or should I leave it to a garage to fix? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

20200213_091110.jpg

When my tank leaked it only leaked until about 3/4 tank. Turns out an evaporation hose on top of the tank, a breather hose attached to the filler hose, and the fuel pump o-ring had all gone bad. Replaced them all and it has been perfect. Not sure how different a GTS tank is from a GTR. If your tank is leaking all the way down to 1/4 tank then it's probably a hole somewhere down low, you might be able to see it without dropping the tank. 

Dropping the tank itself isn't too hard to do in your garage if you have a buddy and can be done in an afternoon. There's a post on here that gives pretty good directions with pics. Of course a garage with a fuel tank lift would be able to do it much faster. At least since so much is leaking out you don't have to worry about draining/siphoning out (as much) fuel first, but keep in mind that even at 1/4 tank, gas is heavy. 

Update: well it seems that it is leaking from the weld seams. it wasn't from rusting out but just came apart from a bad hit. Ive tried to look for gas tanks specific to that model but should I expand my search to other models? If so,  anyone know what other tank will fit in there? I can have the shop weld the seams back together. If I get it welded, will it hold better or just the same shit?