SAU Community

Fair price for my 1994 GTS-T?

Romanian

Hi guys,

I've had my Skyline since 2005, and I was always a Skyline lover, but never a car enthusiast. In my younger years I kept thinking about all the things I was going to do with it, but it ended up just being a car to be driven from point A to point B. Eventually I got a company car for about 5 years, so it just sat in the garage, and by the end of that period, I definitely had no more desire to do anything with it. It is now getting older and needs more love than I am willing or capable of offering it, and it has quite a few issues, so I thought I'd come and list those here and see if anybody could let me know what they believe would be a fair price if I were to sell it privately, to someone who is into tinkering with cars as it's currently just sitting in my garage, and has for about 4 months, and I don't have any plans of turning it into anything more than it currently is.

Here we go:

Details:
Nissan, Skyline R33, GTS-T, Manual, 1994, 201,000km, imported in 2005 at 103,000km

The good:
Absolutely stock standard, never even had an exhaust installed.
Never trashed (lost license for speeding 5 months into getting my license, never had it in me to lose it again and haven't)
No drags/events
Never been in an accident
Racing timing belt kit installed 5 months ago
Never been smoked in

The not so good:
Back shocks are gone
AC pulley is gone
Power-steering pump has been replaced but leaks pretty badly (I think it's just the seal)
Clutch has been feeling a bit soft in recent times. Haven't run into issues with it though. Probs just needs a bleed.
Some asshole tried to steal it and damaged the driver-side lock (looks fine, doesn't turn)
Paint needs a touch-up (nothing major, the underside of the front bodykit has some larger scrape marks and some isolated spots on the car, nothing bigger than 2-3cm)
Head gasket needs to be replaced

That's about it. I'm interested in what you guys think I could sell it for to an enthusiast, or what you think would be worth my time having fixed to avoid being low-balled too hard.

Please keep in mind, I'm not looking to sell it here, so please try to give me advice if you can as opposed to low-balling me some offers.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Romanian

AS is it would be cheap. I don't like the idea of buying a car that "needs head gasket" as it may have much worse problems. So I would say either you auction it as is and let the market tell you what it's worth or fix it and go for broke. If you are not emotionally attached to the car maybe bite the bullet and sell as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya making the car right and fixing everything could take away from any profit you could get. although if you end up fixing everything you might fall in love with the car again if it had 450kw or so!  I think dumping it to "trel" or someone that can fix it might be a great idea if you can get 2-3 k for it no headaches. obviously depending on condition of body, frame being dinted from improper jacking up, etc will affect price. hopefully she finds a new home or gets fixed proper and can do her thing again someday! cheers.

11 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

Ya making the car right and fixing everything could take away from any profit you could get. although if you end up fixing everything you might fall in love with the car again if it had 450kw or so!  I think dumping it to "trel" or someone that can fix it might be a great idea if you can get 2-3 k for it no headaches. obviously depending on condition of body, frame being dinted from improper jacking up, etc will affect price. hopefully she finds a new home or gets fixed proper and can do her thing again someday! cheers.

Yes! This. PM me and we can work something out.

I sold my R34 sedan for a fair price, with poorly repaired accident damage, busted transmission solenoids and a leaky head gasket. It was up for sale for 3x the price a week later after getting registered plus a wash and wax... ? 

34 minutes ago, junkie said:

I sold my R34 sedan for a fair price, with poorly repaired accident damage, busted transmission solenoids and a leaky head gasket. It was up for sale for 3x the price a week later after getting registered plus a wash and wax... ? 

That sounds like just the type of car I like to buy! how ever the person you sold your car to probably went through quite a bit of work to get the car back up to tip top. every built can be different no saying the headgasket hasn't caused more issues. sometimes when you think your only replacing a few things, things can get out of hand and very expensive, especially if your doing a quick fix to sell and not taking proper time and money to do it right.  yeah you could put some money into it and make maybe a bit more, but could get you in the hole more too! give trel a shot seems interested in the project!

just my opinion through experience.  I got my gtr at fair price with headgasket, awd issues, cooling issues, and misfiring issues. the body was really good so i ended up buying it, been a long slippery slope to bring it back if I didn't have the time or the shop would have costed me a fortune to fix it all. I ended up finding much enjoyment fixing the car, and not only did I learn a lot more about my car I found out just how smart some of the people on this site really are! anything can be fixed with the help of SAU!

I have an r33 and my 11 year old daughter loves it. She is adamant she wants one for us to work on together for herself when she's of age and something like this would fit the bill.

On 28/02/2020 at 5:43 AM, trel said:

I have an r33 and my 11 year old daughter loves it. She is adamant she wants one for us to work on together for herself when she's of age and something like this would fit the bill.

This is what its all about enjoying the cars with family! I have a 2 year old as well just loves being around the gtr and learning slowly cant wait to hand it over to him someday. sell it to trel make dreams come true! wont be a huge profit either way but satisfaction of the car going to an enthusiast that is working on the car with his daughter making it there own is a feeling that cant be replaced!  

Quality mullet. 

For my ten cents worth if you have the skills fix the head gasket and then sell the car.  Of the other things if you can bleed the clutch and get it to work then do that.  Same for the power steer, if its an easy fix then fix it.

Edited by djr81

also a good point, I know everytime ive fixed a head gasket ive ended up having to machine the head, machining exhaust ports, maybe need to replace valves etc. always has ended up costing more than expected. Could get pricey for someone who has already said their hearts not in the build. assuming a shop would be doing it at this point the profit is gone potentially.

Forget a shop doing it if you want to make any profit selling it. Only thing I'd have the shop do is cleaning up the head and that's if it's salvageable. It's a DIY unfortunately and a flamin mongrel of a job at that too...

Edited by trel