SAU Community

Still swaying (R33 GTST)

Torques

Long story short:

Car has

24mm front WL anti sway bar (also a rear one)

8/6kg BC coilovers (set at 22 click towards firm / below 22 too mushy, above too harsh)

Tyres are 245/45/17 on GTR rims

For my liking the front still has too much front sway. (rear is fine)

A mate mentioned that the tension bar bushes are quite soft on these car, but would changing them to poly bushes help with sway?

Any other suggestions what I could try?

Cheers

I have the same coil overs as you but a Whiteline 27mm front sway bay and a 27mm R33 GTR rear on my GTST !

Cant speak more highly for this set up on mine.

As well Im running 255/18s on the front and 265/18s on the rear.

Yes poly bushes for everything will help to some degree on a 23 year old car

What do you mean too much "sway"? Anti-roll bars combat roll. You probably mean your car feels sloppy - a consequence of being old. You need to test all the various bushes and probably need to replace most of them.

I would just like to mention, once again, that there is no such thing as a sway bar, except in the context of trailers.

We are talking about anti-roll bars here.

When manufacturers describe them as sway bars, they are only pandering the the drooling masses, so they don't have to try to educate them. So don't go saying "But Whiteline/BrandX/etc call them swaybars!!!11!!!11onejuan!"

I would also like to point out that when you get up to 27mm bars, there's almost no room for any bush on the body mount! So rubber should not be significantly worse than poly at that point. At 24mm, poly it.

I would also like to mention that with really stiff bars, other parts of the car start to deflect under the loads. You have to think about the mechanics (ie, the physics) of what the bar is doing and not pretend that everything it is bolted to is as solid as a rock and not going to deflect under heavy loads.

Thanks for the help.

By sway I mean body roll/lean and vice versa. So the outer wheel dives too much while cornering.

To my knowledge an anti sway/roll bar prevents just that by acting as a torsion 'spring'

The amount of sway/roll I have is not massive but especially when cornering slowly the outer wheel dives too much for my liking.

I'll have a look at the poly bushes and will give my drop links a second look.

WL is not doing a 27mm anymore but now the 24mm they have is adjustable (mine isn't)

28 minutes ago, Torques said:

The amount of sway/roll I have is not massive but especially when cornering slowly the outer wheel dives too much for my liking.

I have highlighted the word that demonstrates that your vehicle's roll stiffness is not what is causing your perceived problem. Roll is not and cannot ever be worse when going slowly, as the mechanical forces acting on the car are lower when going slowly. You get more roll with more speed.

'Twere I you, I would ponder the fact that BC and similar barrel bottom dampers only adjust the rebound rates and not the bump rates with their clicks. Their fairly crude damping valve stacks may well be sufficiently poor to allow too much compression when loaded over a long period (ie, a slow corner). It may well be a damping problem.

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I have highlighted the word that demonstrates that your vehicle's roll stiffness is not what is causing your perceived problem. Roll is not and cannot ever be worse when going slowly, as the mechanical forces acting on the car are lower when going slowly. You get more roll with more speed.

'Twere I you, I would ponder the fact that BC and similar barrel bottom dampers only adjust the rebound rates and not the bump rates with their clicks. Their fairly crude damping valve stacks may well be sufficiently poor to allow too much compression when loaded over a long period (ie, a slow corner). It may well be a damping problem.

Good point you're making. I always thought too that the oil in there would pose less restriction when the shock was compressing slowly.

BC says on their website that the compression/rebound is set simultaneously. I'll give them a call!