SAU Community

Snapped bolt for AAC to plenum

brentos

Hi All,

Car : R33 GTST

One of the three bolts (the top one) that holds the AAC valve to the plenum has snapped. There is nothing sticking out for me to grab it and all the thread is in the plenum. 

Is removing the top half of the plenum the only way for me to get to it for an extraction?

Thanks.

(I did search for this particular issue but only found threads about broken studs and bolts in other spots)

Edited by brentos

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

If you can get a MIG welder onto it, you might be able to get it out in-situ. But otherwise, probably yes. Lid off.

I used to have a MIG welder but have since sold it. Looks like I will be taking the plenum off then

19 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Another option. How much space do you have back there? Enough for a pneumatic right angle drill? If you can drill it and you have enough room for the tap/ezy-out, then it's worth a shot.

I seem to have a little bit of space there once I push some of the wiring etc out of the way. I took a photo and circled the bolt in question. I might look into one of those right angle drill attachments off eBay.

The only thing is the broken bolt is not smooth and a bit jagged.

Thanks for your help

20200224_205841.jpg

Edited by brentos

Taking off the plenum is hardly a huge job you would want to avoid at any cost.

How good are you at extracting broken bolts like that? If you have never done it before don't even try.

Take off the plenum and do it on a bench. Thank me later.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Taking off the plenum is hardly a huge job you would want to avoid at any cost.

How good are you at extracting broken bolts like that? If you have never done it before don't even try.

Take off the plenum and do it on a bench. Thank me later.

I wouldn't say I am that confident in extracting broken bolts.

I have taken the plenum off before, was a bit of a pain getting to those bolts underneath, but if it has to be removed again then so be it.

One other thought, would a mobile thread doctor possibly have the right tools to get to it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update on this in case anyone else has a broken bolt in the same spot.

The Thread Doctor in Melbourne came out and got the broken bolt out. He did a fantastic job and at a fair price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brentos said:

Just wanted to give an update on this in case anyone else has a broken bolt in the same spot.

The Thread Doctor in Melbourne came out and got the broken bolt out. He did a fantastic job and at a fair price.

As per GTSBoy, thnks for the update. Those guys are well worth thr money for the trouble they save!