SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Mistakes were made, my R34 Story

I could do that, but the lowest impact on the bar is 10mm from the top (i.e almost directly in the center)

Yes, would gain some space via the 'radius' of the bar getting more clearance as its further away, but I'm not so sure on how well that math works with 5mm...

Machining them down is an option though, as well as grooving them to allow for the whiteline bush shape. Every mm counts in this scenario!

I also did reach out for a company that does custom swaybars also 😛

I finally figured out what was going on with my TC, after ... years. And all it took was looking back at a different logfile which looked like this:

image.thumb.png.de67c65572152a7430ddaf3ef4c7bd56.png

This is a run where two wheels were messing up. One (the green one) had never had issues before. And strangely enough, later in the run where the green one was having issues, the red one was behaving itself, and going higher in speed than it previously had ever done without an issue.

How could this be occurring, while I'm driving, on a sensor I've never had issues with, that I've definitely not touched, and how could the red one give me different readings, something it's never done before.

Then it twigged.

image.thumb.png.45277fb1f36495b31f934cec5c108704.png

This is the R34 ABS ecu, where the wires for speed sensors get spliced into.
My abomination of test wiring over the years meant I could never really clamp the "handle" down in the way I've attempted to illustrate.

I went back and messed with the wiring to enable the ECU to actually make a proper connection. The 0.5mm copper washer I installed also worked. The problematic wheel kicks in at 13kmh (which is ideal, given the TC starts working at 14kmh by default, because 5/10% of 14kmh is well within margain of sensor error and you don't want cuts then.

Also none of the wheels have problems now. Because they're all plugged in properly, or.. more.. properlier than before.

Also funny enough, new GPS cable actually works great with the head unit.

All I pretty much have to do now is put my boot back together, mount the GPS sensor properly as opposed to taping it to the dash, and.. everything is fine...except the swaybar thing.

And a battery. And a dipstick bracket. But those are apparently being delivered to me soon.

soooon.

• 2 weeks later...

New brackets were made. They even looked better! 6mm! Wow!

Mount them up, all is actually fitting, looking good

Then we put the car on the actual ground before taking it out for a test, and realised that no-one, not me, not my friend doing the engine conversion task, not the two VASS Engineers that have looked at it, nor any other mechanic looked at the swaybar with the car actually on the ground.

Because it fouls. Just sitting there it's pressedfirmly up against the sump. No amount of spacing was ever going to save this. I wish I hadve looked at it on the ground before MANY hours were spent trying to make it work. Or looked at the OEM swaybar which would be in the same scenario.

IMG_20211002_145414.thumb.jpg.f10ba108613b1a587da20c53d21d18f7.jpgIMG_20211002_145352.thumb.jpg.6238bf45b2b4fed54570deaeda51fe7b.jpgIMG_20211002_145346.thumb.jpg.e2284dd485de3b7e446763f9ff729e50.jpgIMG_20211001_175630.thumb.jpg.ff62035ba84a7d29ddf796a24671a3c2.jpg

I have googled some custom swaybar people, and removed the swaybar from the car. Anyone know anyone that will get back to me in a semi-prompt fashion?

As previously mentioned, car actually drives around quite nicely with no front sway at all, though I'm sure it's far from optimal.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:24 PM, BK said:

Hmm... take it the obvious path of contacting Whiteline about a custom swaybar has been tried and is a no go ?

They're on the list!

I contacted someone local who offered this service, and their builder had a "Can you supply a template" to which I said yeah, I can give you the bar and mark it out for you, or bring the car!

But they get theirs done by someone in NSW, and unsure as to whether they are operating.

May have to call a few people, and unfortunately tyre kick all of them, except the people that convince me the best that they can do it.

well, when whiteline sold their swaybar factory and moved manufacturing offshore, Gary (sydneykid) bought that business and equipment and was running it as Selby's, but that didn't work out. I am not sure if they still operate under that or a different name, the factory was around Minto NSW.

a quick search found these guys who were apparently the original Selby's and are still manufacturing in Nowra NSW.  https://www.signatureswaybars.com.au/

I have not used either business under current ownership

My cursory information when googling seemed that a lot of places make their swaybars in NSW, and could easily engage someone like Signature Swaybars to actually make them.

No matter who it is, I got a very competitive quote ($350) through Hakon to make me one with 50mm clearance at the front, lead time 4-6 weeks, from this mysterious NSW business. They have a custom swaybar builder form, but you can't get to it from their website - Only through google.

And I can sell my Whiteline on. Again.

If it all fits up, I reckon thats about as good a deal as I'm possibly ever going to get, so I signed on the dotted line!

On 10/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, Duncan said:

well, when whiteline sold their swaybar factory and moved manufacturing offshore, Gary (sydneykid) bought that business and equipment and was running it as Selby's, but that didn't work out. I am not sure if they still operate under that or a different name, the factory was around Minto NSW.

a quick search found these guys who were apparently the original Selby's and are still manufacturing in Nowra NSW.  https://www.signatureswaybars.com.au/

I have not used either business under current ownership

I remember buying Bilstein's of him I think when that was the rage on here 20yrs ago. 

That's a name I haven't seen in yonks, was a knowledgeable dude. 

Gary is still around but not working in the industry any more. He still does suspension engineering on various race cars including any time I need something looked at (not often these days). I still run his revalved non-adjustable bilsteins in mine and the handling is great.

• Like 2