SAU Community

Are N1 the best upgrade for r32 GTR

21 hours ago, BK said:

Joshua you seem to be pushing the new Mitsubishi core HKS gt3-ss turbos like they are a better turbo than the ball bearing Garrett units already available. Spool faster than -9 ? Really ? Do you have any actual experience with them directly ? Or are you just quoting the HKS propaganda ? Of course HKS is going to say their new non Garrett stuff is better than their old Garrett based turbos.

Lot of GTRs in Australia and I am yet to hear of anyone purchasing a set of these, using them and publishing results here. Same goes for the GTIII-4R and GTIII-5R - no one is using them. If these new GT3 HKS units are so good, why isn't anyone down here using them ?

Matty George, again Garrett -9 mate. You'll be happy as Duncan said with the 300 - 330kw they'll provide. Also see below.

Check this table, has a good reference for the twins. You'll see -9 and HKS old GT-SS is identical.

post-19208-1267155725.jpg

JMS in Adelaide push the HKS turbos, but they're the only ones i've seen running them...

31 minutes ago, BK said:

Actually probably none of the above as they have already gone to a single

This is true. 

When I looked it up a full kit for -9s with HKS actuators and various bits was within 400 USD of the GT3-SS.

It’s definitely not a value for money choice and it’s only a matter of time IMO before someone figures out what turbo HKS rebranded this time and sells it for a solid 25% discount, maybe more. But frankly nothing about RB26s is good value for money.

1 hour ago, mr_rbman said:

JMS in Adelaide push the HKS turbos, but they're the only ones i've seen running them...

Jap is always best in some eyes. ??‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/03/2020 at 11:17 AM, Duncan said:

350 awkw (australian wheel kilowatts) will require -5 and will come with a bit of lag. 300-330 is a better sweet spot and would still move you around town ok.

Doesn't this depend on fuel? I haven't seen OP specify 98 or e85. I get 360 Oz Wheel KW on -9s with reasonable mods and e85.

2 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Jap is always best in some eyes. ??‍♂️

I'm not on that train. I would much prefer PRP's double VCAM if that ever makes it out of R&D, the intake only VVT even pulling the pistons for 50 degree cam advance doesn't make for a modern turbo engine response where it spools at 2000 RPM and pulls to redline. There's a significant bump again with dual VVT compared to intake-only VVT: https://www.enginelabs.com/news/spooling-up-tuning-dohc-variable-valve-timing-for-boost/

The GT3-SS is very likely just a recent single scroll turbo adapted to the RB26. Not new, but for those that want to keep the twin turbo setup instead of single it helps to modernize the engine.

Yes, I did assume 98 octane, not e85, as OP mentioned it was for street use. While e85 may not be impossible for street use it is not practical for daily driving in Oz. And these days, who know's where a poster is based BECAUSE NOONE FILLS IN THE BLOODY LOCATION FIELD ON THEIR PROFILE SO PEOPLE CAN GIVE THEM RELEVANT ADVICE!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joshuaho96 said:

The GT3-SS is very likely just a recent single scroll turbo adapted to the RB26. Not new, but for those that want to keep the twin turbo setup instead of single it helps to modernize the engine.

Modernise the engine with plain bearing turbos ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BK said:

Modernise the engine with plain bearing turbos ?

I don’t think it’s that simple. Journal bearings do have worse transient response from the oil viscosity drag but the oil film helps to dampen any imbalance in the rotating assembly. The oil flow also improves cooling and the thicker oil film also improves longevity.

On the balance it looks like despite the cheapo journal bearings they’re more responsive if you can actually get the engine to flow enough at 2500 RPM.

Based on the dyno charts out there a journal bearing R32 ceramic turbo can out-spool pretty much everything out there. It just doesn’t survive high boost or age. The R34 ball bearing turbo does spool faster but that tells me that it’s a second order effect on the boost curve of a turbo.

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, BK said:

OP has made his decision on turbos

Yes, he has. But the topic is interesting beyond just helping him decide. -7s and -9s are a comparison that has been done to death. I think the GT3-SS is an interesting alternative for those that are willing to give up some of that high RPM compressor efficiency for better low RPM response. Ball bearing would help with response for that given turbo but no such option exists.