SAU Community

R34 GT-FOUR RB25DET swap?

Hi,

First of all sorry for my english ?
Iam looking for a Skyline R34 and in the meantime iam gathering as much info i can get.
But one i kinda dont get.
I can get R34 GT-FOUR(4WD non turbo RB25DE) way cheaper cuz nobody really wants them so much(right now)

I already asked and it is nonsense to "put on a turbo" 
So question is. What type of RB25DET i need for GT-FOUR AWD swap?
I thinked any type of RB25DET would suffice but now iam learning that "only" Stagea RB25DET(C34?) can be swaped cuz of the AWD ATESA system? Or can it be different? 

I know it is way better to just buy GT-T but this have a potential to be "good" AWD car...and i can get it like for the half of a price of GT-T
Thanks for the info...or any information about GT-FOUR version of R34(it is hard to get)

14 hours ago, Kapr said:

I already asked and it is nonsense to "put on a turbo"

This is our usual response to anyone who wants to keep their NA Skyline/Stagea/other shitbox and turbo it. From a purely realistic point of view it is a shit idea to spend money putting a turbo onto a car that was available as a turbo model. It is only a slightly less shit idea to put a turbo engine into a car that was available with that same engine.

It is FAR more sensible to just buy the factory turbo version.

Now, in your case, you maintain that NA cars are half the price of turbo cars. But realistically, once you have bought the NA car, plus all the stuff you need to convert it (engine, gearbox, ECU, wiring loom, diff, brakes, etc) and spent all the f**king time and effort on putting it in, you would be far better off just buying the turbo version to start with.

But, if you are a masochist with time to spend on engine swaps, etc, then go right ahead and start with an NA. Just keep in mind that it won't end up being much cheaper.

In your particular case, given the pain involved in an engine transplant, it would actually be a better idea to put a turbo onto your NA engine. The parts needed are available, and it is very well documented all over the 'net, including probably 10000 threads on here. Again though, you must be aware that your weak gearbox will be at peril of death after a couple of years, your open diff will piss you off, your brakes will be small for a turbo powered car and you will have to do something about engine management because the NA ECU will not play along.

Just buy the turbo car.

• Thanks 1

Not if you want AWD though.

A GT FOUR is a great way to get a GTR, minus a body kit. Putting in the stag engine is the way to go. I would say if you do it right, a AWD Neo in there would be awesome.

However, any GT FOUR I have ever seen is at least equal to the price of a GTT, especially a coupe. So I dunno. Not Australia?

• Thanks 1

Hi,

thank you for the answers.
Point is i dont want to buy GT-FOUR and immiedietly swap engine or put turbo on it. I just looking for the possible future option if i ended to buy some non turbo R34.
Or maybe i just keep it as it is.
But yeah...swaping or adding turbo in my country(Czech Republic) where i have never seen any skyline on the road is little bit too much i guess and even just that C34 engine would be kinda impossible to get here.

@Kinkstaah i can get R34 GT-FOUR(2door) for like 8500 EUR- 14300 AUD. 
Yeah it is not a "brand new" and it has some rust etc...BUT next "cheapest" car is GT-T one(factory no mods) but is for 25500 AUD...

But still as i said...i think it would be nearly impossible to swap engine or add turbo in my contry. 
Of course it is about money...but iam afraid that time i've got some spare money... price of the GT-T or any Skylines R34 would be somewhere else :-/ 

Another option is to try buy "cheap" GT-T from Japan auction...i saw few of them sell really cheap. Of course lot of them ar R rated (crashed) but i dont think that cars around our country will be different :-D But i need to add around 6600 AUD for the transport taxes etc...

In this scenario the best option is....

don't get a skyline

They may look cool if you don't see them around all the time, but they don't stand up performance wise stock to anything else that you could get for $25K in Europe.

Given how hard it is to mod them/bring them up to spec where you are, this is a compounding problem. You'd be better off with a Megane Cup or similar hot hatch from Europe for a multitude of reasons (performance, cost, availability of parts, local knowledge)

• Like 4

@Kinkstaah

So...i tried find someone who has done some swaps on RB25 or at least knows how to service them.
Found at least two guys from my country :-) (one of them done tons of swap on RB engines and has the know how :-) )

I know that i can get "better" cars in here(already owned Golf GTI - blow up engine 3x times :-D )
But Skyline is kinda a dream car. 
I dont care about GT-R look a like or XXX Hp drift/drag. 
Just need to buy it and make it reliable for the future and keep it.
I know it is gonna be a lot harder to find parts but i dont mind...just needed to find someone who knows Skylines and RB engines...which i had :-)
One huge plus is that RB25 is pretty reliable engine...cant say that about TSI/TFSI :-D 

So a lot depends on your power goals. If you don't plan to be dragging MTM RS6s etc you can in fact turbo your Neo engine and make up to 300awkw. Then you can spend a bit on doing up your suspension and brakes and save up for a GTR gearbox and over time have quite a good street car.

@KiwiRS4T

Yeah...and maybe not even that. 

I asked like if it is even possible to do something like that.

I know GT-Four is not "that" good but hell...it is still the R34 Skyline. ?

But good to know that swap or "turbo kit" is available ?

There is NO "turbo kit" available for the RB25 to make it naturally aspirated to turbocharged. it does not exists. 

However, This is one of the best guide on the internet for turbo-ing a Naturally aspirated RB25:
https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/466795-doing-a-t-conversion-on-an-unopened-rb25de-neo-r34-gt/

Edited by Dil-Dog