SAU Community

GTR R32 Build

On 07/07/2020 at 1:37 PM, oktaytrz said:

Update

Getting Haltech Elite 2000 instead of the Platinum Pro. 

this car is costing a looooot more than my expectations ?

Whatever you first “budgeted”, ATLEAST double it to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/07/2020 at 7:12 AM, Piggaz said:

Whatever you first “budgeted”, ATLEAST double it to begin with.

On 11/07/2020 at 5:13 PM, Shyboy said:

Welcome to the rabbit hole ?

I'm going to have to agree with the statements above ?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: 

-Cams went in this week and valve clearances etc all checked.

-Ordered Gates Racing Timing Belt

-Painted the brake booster and all other small bits and pieces - will upload pics soon. 

-Engine is scheduled to go back in by end of next week (hopefully) lol

Am thinking of buying Tuff engine mounts. would appreciate any feedback on these before I purchase it. 

http://musclegarage.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=117

On 25/07/2020 at 12:41 PM, hattori hanzo said:

broke nismo ones frequently, tuff mounts are the way to go

Purchased the Tuff mounts :)

I have a question for everyone here..

Haltech Elite 2000 vs Link G4 Fury plug in.

What are the differences, advantages and disadvantages? there's a significant price difference between the two.

I have not used a Haltech,

However have a Link G4+

I find the functionality and interface easy for myself to setup different things i.e. launch control adjust rev limits and boost by gear.

Logging is comprehensive and easy to use / download / analyse.

Ultimately depends who is tuning your car and what they want to use.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hattori hanzo said:

I have not used a Haltech,

However have a Link G4+

I find the functionality and interface easy for myself to setup different things i.e. launch control adjust rev limits and boost by gear.

Logging is comprehensive and easy to use / download / analyse.

Ultimately depends who is tuning your car and what they want to use.

Who is your tuner mate if you don’t mind me asking?

3 hours ago, oktaytrz said:

Who is your tuner mate if you don’t mind me asking?

Rob @ SSC

He isn't a very big shop, but very thorough looks after a few targa guys.

Probably need to update my SAU build thread, will get to it

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Tuff engine mounts arrived today. Will be dropping the gates timing belt to the mechanics shop today or tomorrow!

The engine should be going in this week ? more photos to follow later this week. 

Started polishing the exhaust. Still have heaps to do and will have to grind the welding joint to make it look half decent. 

On 27/07/2020 at 8:52 AM, oktaytrz said:

Purchased the Tuff mounts :)

I have a question for everyone here..

Haltech Elite 2000 vs Link G4 Fury plug in.

What are the differences, advantages and disadvantages? there's a significant price difference between the two.

The Fury isn't a plug-in, the plug-in is equivalent to the G4+ Xtreme (which is basically the same as the Fury but doesn't have onboard wideband control). 

In all honesty, comparing ECU's can get a bit confusing at face value. You need to know what you want from the ECU. If you need specific functions like knock control, launch control, traction control, wideband control, data logging, etc, then you can look at the ECU's capabilities and pick one. This is really for guys using their car for motorsport, because that is really the only situation where you might be thinking "ok, I could shave a bit of time off if my ECU could do X or Y". For a street car, where you just want good resolution to have accurate control of the engine and perhaps some safety features, then pretty much all modern ECU's are going to be able to do it for you. This is where the advice of 'ask your tuner what he recommends' becomes pretty valid, because if your tuner for any reason feels more comfortable tuning a Haltech vs a Link or vise versa, then go with that suggestion because at the end of the day your ECU is only going to do what the guy with the laptop tells it to do. If your tuner says "whatever you like, we can tune anything", which most of them will, then pick based on your budget. Plug-ins are going to be miles cheaper to setup compared to a full wire-in, so take that into account.

My biggest piece of advice would be pay attention to how many inputs/outputs your ECU gives you. Most people will chew up AVI's very very quickly, so you want as many of those as you can get to suit your budget. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

The Fury isn't a plug-in, the plug-in is equivalent to the G4+ Xtreme (which is basically the same as the Fury but doesn't have onboard wideband control). 

In all honesty, comparing ECU's can get a bit confusing at face value. You need to know what you want from the ECU. If you need specific functions like knock control, launch control, traction control, wideband control, data logging, etc, then you can look at the ECU's capabilities and pick one. This is really for guys using their car for motorsport, because that is really the only situation where you might be thinking "ok, I could shave a bit of time off if my ECU could do X or Y". For a street car, where you just want good resolution to have accurate control of the engine and perhaps some safety features, then pretty much all modern ECU's are going to be able to do it for you. This is where the advice of 'ask your tuner what he recommends' becomes pretty valid, because if your tuner for any reason feels more comfortable tuning a Haltech vs a Link or vise versa, then go with that suggestion because at the end of the day your ECU is only going to do what the guy with the laptop tells it to do. If your tuner says "whatever you like, we can tune anything", which most of them will, then pick based on your budget. Plug-ins are going to be miles cheaper to setup compared to a full wire-in, so take that into account.

My biggest piece of advice would be pay attention to how many inputs/outputs your ECU gives you. Most people will chew up AVI's very very quickly, so you want as many of those as you can get to suit your budget. 

Thanks for the info mate. I think I've made up my mind and going with the Haltech Elite 2000.. My tuner also recommended either Elite 2000 or 2500. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...