SAU Community

Hi guys, long time listener, first time caller. So I've done some basic mods to my 33 and was somewhat disappointed with the results. Mods as follows:

Front mount

GCG high flow running 18psi

740cc apexi injectors

Upgraded coils (yaris)

Walbro pump

Z32 afm

Power fc 

Exhaust and bellmouth dump

E-boost 2

Maybe more, can't remember............

Any who, I live in the NT. Car made 201kw on the dyno on 98ron. My question is will a set of cams help me power wise? Not chasing huge numbers, just wanna flog it up to the 130k speed limits here ;) Car is responsive, drives really nice, but everyone wants more power yeah?

Any feed back or advice on next step for upgrade/more power appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi. My god very few people from the NT on here these days, I'm about the main one. Alice or Darwin ? Yes of course cams can give you more power, but at the end of the day, more power, get bigger turbo.

What dyno were you on ?

Hey mate, I'm in katherine, got one of maybe 4 skylines here haha. I was on the dyno at peckys.  It was a good 18 minths ago, just been slack with more upgrades. Had my tune done in the build up, so ambient temps were garbage. You in Darwin? I wanna stick with low mount, as factory as possible, hence the high flow. Just after a bit more kick. 

Alice mate. Not too many now here either, used to be heaps. Probably about 20 skylines, including 6 or 7 R32-R34 GTR in town and I own half of them. There are 3 R35s in Alice now though.

I think you need to talk to Tao from Hypergear in Melbourne for the best stock fitment turbo for your needs. Has a thread in the Forced Induction section. Will definitely get you more power from one of his recommendations.

Thanks mate, I'm happy with the turbo, mainly after the low/mid range increase. From what I've read 256 poncams will drop straight in and retain vct. This is my first "performance" car and I have done all the work myself in my shed, so it's all a learning experience for me. 

Holy shit, you've got yourself a collection! 

I'll hit up Tao when I finally take the plunge. Thanks again!

You can't get more bottom end from bigger duration cams, it makes more power up top. Look the cams will probably be good, but don't expect them to improve your low end. For low down power it doesn't get any better than the stock ones. Higher lift with cams is good, but if you like the turbo and want more bottom, it's RB30 time. Sounds like from what you want capacity is the only thing that'll do more low end for you.

Bigger turbo, drive it harder. I miss the open speed limits.

Not sure if im ready to make that 30 jump. But what you're saying makes sense. Many things to consider.......

I've only been in the NT for a few years, so I missed the open limits, wish they would bring them back though ?

Well Labor took them away when Adam Giles and the CLP lost the election 4 years ago, he was cool. When Giles got in the limits were lifted within 3 months. The way it's looking Labor will lose the election this year in the NT because Michael Gunner is a Fckwit, CLP will get in and we'll get them back. Since I've lived here it's always been open, unless Labor is in government. Passing cops at 180 - 200km/h, then pulling away from them at 250+ was pretty cool, and they would just wave at you as long as you weren't all over the place. Not at the moment, get flashed at 140, ticket.

Also whenever it's open, all the manufacturers come back to test here. I take it you've seen when Craig Baird was driving in the Porsche 918 on youtube around Alice and Ti Tree, mad prick was doing around 350km/h ! Legally !

I am way off topic.....?

OP when i had a v.similar setup to you, i made 260ish rwkw pre-tune on 14.5 psi, using a Hypergear hiflow and Tomei 256 poncams. Largely due to turbo i believe, but both tuners i used on that setup commented about how the cams helped up top.

Thanks hardsteppa. Are the poncams a straight swap for factory? Eg retain vct? I'm hoping once I move back to the east coast and get my tune redone it should puck up some more power, had a horrible time with the "98 octane" fuel up here. I think cams will be next in line for me. 

We have bp ultimate, I filled up with that in Darwin, the tuner couldn't put more timing in as it would start to knock. He reckons it was a combo of poor fuel and high ambient temps. 

Yeah in Darwin has it, not Katherine though, does it ? Darwin and Katherine would be a shit place to tune. Alice is good, if there was someone here that could actually tune, and on a dyno that was accessible.

Yep, got it in katherine. We also have a puma that has 98 but I don't trust it. 

I had to wait for a bloke to come up from Adelaide to do my tune, I had previously had a tune done in Darwin but it was expensive and didn't give me any results. 

I made the mistake of getting my tune done in the build up too :( 

Fck that Puma shit. Blew my 2.8 up on it at Red centre Nat's 2018. Pulled engine down and it was so dirty and gritty on the pistons as if I was using 91. Every time pulled one down after BP ultimate, absolutely clean as. I wasn't the only one, about 10 other cars went that weekend too.

2 hours ago, SLOW-33 said:

Thanks hardsteppa. Are the poncams a straight swap for factory? Eg retain vct? I'm hoping once I move back to the east coast and get my tune redone it should puck up some more power, had a horrible time with the "98 octane" fuel up here. I think cams will be next in line for me. 

Straight drop in for poncams. Retains vct. Had an adustable cam gear on the exhaust but ditched it as the poncams degree'd up to where they were meant to on zero adjustment. 

You don't "need" to as such but i would do valve springs at the same time, if you're still running original still. Supertech springs and titanium retainers are good.