SAU Community

New member need help with rear de fogger BNR32

RBDev

Greetings all, 

first post on here and am new member, but I have. 94 BNR32 here in japan and i recently replaced my tachometer due to it being Inop. After putting everything back together the tach works now, but it rained the other day and rear windscreen started to fog up, hit my de fogger button as it worked a few weeks before taking dash apart and now it doesn’t turn on.. the little orange light doesn’t come on and no power goes to grid..I’ve inspected all the grids on the glass and no broken grids.. 20 Amp fuse in the cabin fuse box it good(replaced it anyways), disconnected battery, and reconnected, took dash apart again and ensured the connector that goes to defog switch was plugged in correctly, no frayed or broken wires. My guess now is there is another relay somewhere hiding under the dash that must have gone bad somehow? Scoured all over the web to find a cabin wire diagram but can’t find anything. Idk if there is another fuse in the circuit I’m missing or relay that is bad but I am getting frustrated as my rear fogger is quite important in the humid climate here.. please help. And thanks in advance Godzillas!!!

p.s. Photo is just showing button in on position but no light on.

-RBDev

The entire circuit is traceable on the wiring diagram in the service manual. You just need to start where you can find power and keep moving through the circuit until you don't find it. It could literally be anything, from a broken wire, or a broken connection on the back of the fuse terminal, to the switch broken inside. You will need a multimeter and some thinking.

On 07/03/2020 at 4:23 AM, GTSBoy said:

The entire circuit is traceable on the wiring diagram in the service manual. You just need to start where you can find power and keep moving through the circuit until you don't find it. It could literally be anything, from a broken wire, or a broken connection on the back of the fuse terminal, to the switch broken inside. You will need a multimeter and some thinking.

http://www.skyline.se/dokument/R32_gtr_service_manual.pdf

I bought my car not to long ago same issue 93 gtr.  service manual is above I used this to trace the wiring and found broken wire in harness. hope this helps. I was able to see green corrosion within the harness  where 2 wires were shorting and eventually broke about 5 inches from the actual clip to defrost button.  hope this helps cheers.

8 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

http://www.skyline.se/dokument/R32_gtr_service_manual.pdf

I bought my car not to long ago same issue 93 gtr.  service manual is above I used this to trace the wiring and found broken wire in harness. hope this helps. I was able to see green corrosion within the harness  where 2 wires were shorting and eventually broke about 5 inches from the actual clip to defrost button.  hope this helps cheers.

So in the diagram I’m just confused as what the noise suppression unit that the circuit tied into.. also where exactly was the corrosion ? 5 inches from what clip ??

thanks

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Doesn't matter where his problem was. What matters is that he told you that he found a problem in the loom. Your problem will not likely be in the same place.

You have been provided with what you need. Go looking.

Lol it matters to me cause I’m just clarifying where his issue was, how do you know it’s not a common fault in the wiring. Didn’t ask for you’re input trying insult my intelligence on wiring. This is for an ACTUAL GTR anyways, not gtst but thanks lol

Lol. 95% of the wiring in the 2wd cars is the same as the 4wd cars.

How do you know that the GTS in my username even refers to a Nissan? Clown.

There have been so many new threads started by people lately, saying, "Oh, my. Help me. Help me. The powerz are not getting to my tail lights!" or "My window motor let out a lot of smoke and now it won't work can I fix it with chewing gum?" that it is becoming hard to believe that there are people in this modern day of arduino projects in high school that cannot use a f**king multimeter to fault find a simple automotive electrical circuit.

Why did you not read my first reply and go to work? Why are you one of these people who want someone on the other side of the internet to tell you exactly what your arcane, probably unique problem is? Why are you not able to close your eyes and picture exactly where this would be in the loom behind the instrument binnacle?

21 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

I was able to see green corrosion within the harness  where 2 wires were shorting and eventually broke about 5 inches from the actual clip to defrost button.

TBH there's merit in both approaches. Some (most?) cars have commonly failing electrical things, a motor here, a regulator there, a plug that falls apart there etc.

Luckily? All the problems with Nissans and Skylines generally aren't that. They are pretty damn stout things given their age especially when they were built.

The bad part is, when it does fail? It's time to go hunting as GTSBoy suggested.

A few things: 

Welcome! Seems you got the answer to your dilemma. You'll have noticed this forum can be pretty hostile, so use the search tool as much as possible to avoid gripes from older users. This forum is or nearly is 20 some years old, so someone is bound to have had your issue before or has discussed it somewhere in here. Sometimes won't be right in your face so just keep digging. I've found a lot of stuff by reading deep in topics. So listen to the criticism even tho it's pretty rude sometimes. If you're on here long enough you'll see that GTSboy knows what he's talking about and has been on here awhile. Also, your GTR isn't very much different from any Skyline that anyone else has, and plenty of GTS and GTSTS on here would probably smokes yours haha. 

I know this didn't answer your question, but just wanted to welcome you to the scene and prep you for what the forum holds. Best place on the internet I've used for Skyline info, but the hostility literally makes me nervous to ask a question sometimes. Would rather I get no reply lol. 

Enjoy your GTR and I hope you get it fixed!

Forsure mate enjoy the car and you will receive great enjoyment from fixing it. get in there get busy and start following wires etc. don't over think the situation. get used to using the manual,  a good voltage reader in sync. sometimes it means taking a little flack when you come on here wanted everyone to solve the issue for you before you have even traced your wires or even downloaded the manual yet.  the boys on here are great they will always help.  GTSboy has giving me some shit in the past but has also helped fix my car 3 times. ive put my two cents in there are many smarter people than myself on here. good luck mate.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:24 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

Forsure mate enjoy the car and you will receive great enjoyment from fixing it. get in there get busy and start following wires etc. don't over think the situation. get used to using the manual,  a good voltage reader in sync. sometimes it means taking a little flack when you come on here wanted everyone to solve the issue for you before you have even traced your wires or even downloaded the manual yet.  the boys on here are great they will always help.  GTSboy has giving me some shit in the past but has also helped fix my car 3 times. ive put my two cents in there are many smarter people than myself on here. good luck mate.

5 hours ago, RBDev said:

Thanks guys. Much love. Appreciate the support. Lemme turn my brain on and get diggin. 😄

that a be mate hammer down rb power.