SAU Community

Smoke from exhaust when changing gears?

1 hour ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

sorry for double post, but could try blocking pvc system and running a catch can setup to see whats going on, may be a waste of time tho...just to clarify are you running a sr20 or an rb in your car? I had a integra type r once with a b18c5 it burnt 1 litre of oil to 3 tank of fuel but would smoke like absolutely crazy from the exhaust blue. I feel like if your rings were shot it would smoke quite a bit more than just on shifts.  valve stem seals m8 or something weird internally maybe.....rebuild the engine and slap  a new turbo on it start fresh.

its a sr20. I don't imagine it would have something to do with the intake manifold if I forgot to connect something. but can't imagine it would be. Was thinking of resetting the ecu . What I did is put the plumbing back to stock cause the previous owner messed around with it a bit but the blow off valve or whatever the PCM is loud as hell when shifting gears lol.

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Pretty sure you can do the valve stem seals without taking the head off. They are cheap - give it a try.

Yea I seen the pliers but the procedure is confusing. It makes sense for the first cylinder how to do it put the rope down, put piston to BDC then put it out with the compression tool, etc. but everyone seems to do it with the timing chain or belt REMOVED when rotating the crank pulley. wont this make the valve hit pistons?

10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

No cams installed = ........ [you complete the sentence].

No idea what it is lol. Is it that valves ca t open or close if cams removed?. At tdc are ALL valaves on ALL cylinders closed?

Edited by silviaz

1 hour ago, silviaz said:

No idea what it is lol. Is it that valves ca t open or close if cams removed?. At tdc are ALL valaves on ALL cylinders closed?

If  the cam is on the bench I don't see how it could push a valve open

3 minutes ago, silviaz said:

crank can push the piston to hit the valve

The crank would have to push the piston all the way through the combustion chamber and into the valve seat area to hit a valve that is closed and cannot be open because there is nothing (no camshaft) to push it open.

Close eyes. Picture inside of engine.

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

The crank would have to push the piston all the way through the combustion chamber and into the valve seat area to hit a valve that is closed and cannot be open because there is nothing (no camshaft) to push it open.

Close eyes. Picture inside of engine.

Ah ok. I csnt find to find any COMPLETE guidea on this valve job. Know where i can find one?

37 minutes ago, silviaz said:

Ah ok. I csnt find to find any COMPLETE guidea on this valve job. Know where i can find one?

Don't do it. If you need a complete hand holding through the process get someone to do it . I would seriously doubt a complete guide for your engine on how to replace valve stem seals exists, (and it isn't required. Its same

concept regardless of anything)

16 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Don't do it. If you need a complete hand holding through the process get someone to do it . I would seriously doubt a complete guide for your engine on how to replace valve stem seals exists, (and it isn't required. Its same

concept regardless of anything)

Yeah I think you're right. I can't visualise the whole process and if I can't it's probably a bad idea for me.