SAU Community

Spark plugs are black again

Oh boy here we go again it just doesn't end haha. So I went to take out the spark plugs to see the condition of them and checked the compression of only 2 cylinders and they were perfectly even. But noticed both spark plugs especially the first one was quite dark, seems like it's running rich. Even the exhaust tip is black. When I went for a drive today the smoke was very light grey or white and dissapeared fast it seems to appear on high revs or switching gears on high revs? and in 1 instance the smoke was black somewhat. Here are some photos: No idea what it is,  I don't think it's piston rings or bent valves considering the compression was the same / wasn't a big difference.

20200310_185434.jpg

20200310_175720.jpg

11.jpg

2222.jpg

6 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Rub the exhaust tip with your finger. If it's oily you're burning oil, not running rich.

I rubbed the exhaust tip and my fingers and it wasnt really oil my finger was quite tight rubbing against the exhaust tip. But it does look shiny, here is a picture

23.jpg

16 hours ago, silviaz said:

I rubbed the exhaust tip and my fingers and it wasnt really oil my finger was quite tight rubbing against the exhaust tip. But it does look shiny, here is a picture

23.jpg

If it felt even the slightest bit wet/slick it's oil. Otherwise that's probably soot from running rich.

I would also confirm against the plugs. Running rich will turn the plugs black but it should be a dry deposit, not a wet one.

Edited by joshuaho96

6 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

If it felt even the slightest bit wet/slick it's oil. Otherwise that's probably soot from running rich.

I would also confirm against the plugs. Running rich will turn the plugs black but it should be a dry deposit, not a wet one.

That would make sense I guess. So on the tip of the exhaust my fingers shouldn't be rubbing smoothly if its running rich only right?

I just checked all my cylinders have oil inside them it seems. I do remember a while back when I took off the intake manifold there was some watery stuff like oil inside not sure if that matters? Check the picture here there was liquid in here

Head02.jpg