SAU Community

R33 GTR Front Extension Knuckle Arm Stud Stripped

Hi Guys,

I have gone to put front coilovers in my R33 GTR and noticed that the nut at the bottom of the strut just spins on the stud.
Does anyone know if the stud can be replaced or do I have to source myself a new front extension knuckle arm.
Pictures below for reference.

Cheers

89075255_2442018315899935_6248243028364886016_n.jpg

89088956_518166432230385_1922498877190045696_n.jpg

Capture.JPG

Is it the male thread damaged, or the nut? "Just spins" could be either. Nuts are somewhat easier to replace.

The stud is just pressed in. So it can be pressed out. You probably can't buy one, so you'd need to get a machinist to copy it.

Worst case (and this is really really the worst case) you could try cutting it down to the next thread size as a purely temporary fix. I wouldn't do this, but it is something of an option.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

Is it the male thread damaged, or the nut? "Just spins" could be either. Nuts are somewhat easier to replace.

The stud is just pressed in. So it can be pressed out. You probably can't buy one, so you'd need to get a machinist to copy it.

Worst case (and this is really really the worst case) you could try cutting it down to the next thread size as a purely temporary fix. I wouldn't do this, but it is something of an option.

It's as if someone has over tightened the nut causing the stud thread to be stripped. The nut does not want to come off, it's just stuck on that spot of the stud spin-able. 

The car is still drive-able, I just cant swap in my coilovers. 

The nut will have to be destroyed with a grinder and/or nut splitter to get it off. At that point the car will be undrivable until you fix the stud. So either get a replacement upright or plan for it to be off the road while you get someone to remake the part. Your coilovers are off the table until then.