SAU Community

I am completely new to cars. Sup!

CarNoob

good to know mate...from what I read the stock ignition system is good for your hp goal. may want new coils as old ones could be shotty. better safe than sorry with spark. make sure the harness is in good shape as well to the coils.

59 minutes ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

may want new coils as old ones could be shotty. better safe than sorry with spark. make sure the harness is in good shape as well to the coils.

The issue with that is that once you outlay the cash for new coils (OEM or Splitfire), and possibly a coil harness, you are a significant fraction of the way to a real upgrade. Even if you limit yourself to Yaris coils or similar, you can do it for the same sort of $$ and a moderate step up in coil energy. But if you do R8/R35 type coils, for about 30-40% more money you have a massive increase in coil energy.

The only penalty to doing the upgrade is that you need to be able to compensate for any dwell time changes in the ECU. Not possible with fully stock, but easy with aftermarket ECU and even doable with Nistune (IIRC).

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

The issue with that is that once you outlay the cash for new coils (OEM or Splitfire), and possibly a coil harness, you are a significant fraction of the way to a real upgrade. Even if you limit yourself to Yaris coils or similar, you can do it for the same sort of $$ and a moderate step up in coil energy. But if you do R8/R35 type coils, for about 30-40% more money you have a massive increase in coil energy.

The only penalty to doing the upgrade is that you need to be able to compensate for any dwell time changes in the ECU. Not possible with fully stock, but easy with aftermarket ECU and even doable with Nistune (IIRC).

correct I just went through this with my -5 setup. I could not make the r35 conversion without an ecu. I went haltec can run on either maf or map