SAU Community

350GT V35 COOLANT BOILING AND DISAPEARED !!!

Jonic

Hey Helpers !    Vehicle : 2003 Nissan Skyline V35, Coupe. / Modified Parts - After Market Exhaust, Stillen Inktake.

So here's the scenario, I just got home after a 15min drive on a sunny hot day to quickly go and change and I left the car on idling with my air conditioner on low.

Roughly 5 mins later I came back out and saw the Car was smoking with steam from through the bonnet !

I then ran quickly and switched off the engine and open the bonnet !

I suddenly saw my coolant reservoir boiling like its 1000 Degrees and it was leaking a lot around that area

Next thing I did was I let the car cool down, while looking around I could also hear my car oil boiling as well.

After about another 5 mins.. MY COOLANT SUDDENLY JUST DRAINED EMPTIED !  (I believed it escaped from my Water Pumps Weep Hole)

I was not happy with the situation, thinking I have a leak somewhere. So I then went to fill the Radiator and the reservoir with coolant after it cooled down and checked for leaks at the bottom .... but NOTHING !

Instead it retained its coolant level ! ????

So I started the car up and warmed it up but still no leak but the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON !

Next day I decided to take it to the mechanics and went to check the CODES and it came up P1217 - ENG OVER TEMP & P0327 Knock Sensor / Circuit B1

He also checked my Fan motor 40amp FUSE with the circuit tester and said it was blown which would've caused the car to overheat since it failed to turn the fan on. So he replace the fuse and cleared the engine code afterwards and said it should be all good.
(40amp Fan fuse located next to the battery)

Car runs fine so far, I haven't really went too far but so far it's not overheating or anything.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS.... WAS THIS ALL BECAUSE OF THE 40AMP FAN FUSE !??!?

Should I even replaced my Water Pump since it leaked through the weep hole or keep driving it since its not leaking right now ?

My mechanic told me that there was a possible chance the Knock Sensor probably came up was cause my Fan Motor Fuse was blown and failed to cool the radiator down and caused the sensor to go off so it should be okay for now, what are your thoughts ? Should I replace the sensor too ?

THANK YOU HELPERS !

Edited by Jonic

Seems that it overheated because you left it running on a hot day with the air con going with no fan. No surprise there.

So, it boiled and blew all the coolant out. Not surprising either.

If it is now holding coolant and running fine, then you probably dodged a bullet with respect to blowing a head gasket or the various other bad things that could have happened. Count your blessings and don't do it again.

The knock sensor probably detected boiling noises. Or the engine actually could have been pinging at idle because the head was SUPER hot. If it doesn't show that code again, then count your blessings and don't do it again.

• Like 1

So far so good, coolant level is still leveled,  nothing leaking but I got a new radiator cap and replaced that. I bought myself a new water pump just in case for back up. Fingers crossed 

might be time to give the coolant system some attention for some preventative maintenace. thermostat, rad cap, proper water pump install, mise well do your belt at same time.clean rad or replace. make sure the heater core isn't plugged and is working proper. give it a good coolant flush make sure you get all your bubbles out and away you go. Then you can sleep easy knowing your coolant system is serviced.