SAU Community

26/30 build questions

mugiwara no luffy

so probably been beaten to death, I apologize.

so in a nutshell for a 30 swap in a r34 GTR. I would need to:

get the awd adaptor

drill a hole for an extra tensioner

and make the crank collar longer?

will the getrag bolt on directly to the motor?

am I missing anything else? Are there instructions on where to drill the hole for the tensioner?

Yes, Yes, no necessarily (longer oil pump drive is desirable not required), not exactly (the lower bolt holes will be off between the sump and gearbox by the height of the awd adapter. depending on how much that troubles you I've seen some people just leave the lower bolts out, my gearbox was redrilled for the new lower bolt locations.

The rb30 pdf guide has information on tensioner options, and depending on the block you get you may already have to location for the tensioner machined, or you may need to get that done. There can also be differences on whether the required oil feed and returns are in the block or whether you have to drill and tap them

beyond that, motor prep is like any other rebuild (you can decide how far to go), and things like radiator hoses will not fit directly and will need modification.

And finally, I think it is a terrible idea to put an rb30 in a R34 GTR these days. Start with something people don't care about like a 33 GTR instead (no one cares about middle children).

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yes, Yes, no necessarily (longer oil pump drive is desirable not required), not exactly (the lower bolt holes will be off between the sump and gearbox by the height of the awd adapter. depending on how much that troubles you I've seen some people just leave the lower bolts out, my gearbox was redrilled for the new lower bolt locations.

The rb30 pdf guide has information on tensioner options, and depending on the block you get you may already have to location for the tensioner machined, or you may need to get that done. There can also be differences on whether the required oil feed and returns are in the block or whether you have to drill and tap them

beyond that, motor prep is like any other rebuild (you can decide how far to go), and things like radiator hoses will not fit directly and will need modification.

And finally, I think it is a terrible idea to put an rb30 in a R34 GTR these days. Start with something people don't care about like a 33 GTR instead (no one cares about middle children).

I had a built rb26 with a t88. Unfortunately dumb shit started to happen and I got the car stolen and it came back with a blown motor and turbo. But I stumbled on a rb30 

thank you for the information Do you have a link to the PDF on hand? Or a thread with your build?

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Or you could just buy one...(from short block to complete engine)

https://www.ripsracing.com/catalog/Complete-Motors-40/Complete-Engine-Package-32.html

Totally an option if it wasn’t an arm and a leg to ship the motor from there to here. I was looking at a spool short block at one point 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, mugiwara no luffy said:

will there be clearance issues with the bonnet and the block.

Some have had issues, I did not (R33).  Mate, custom engine fitting requires an optimistic ' suck it and see approach" my 25/30 went straight in, I could have dicked around for hours making mounts beforehand that would not have been required.

3 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Some have had issues, I did not (R33).  Mate, custom engine fitting requires an optimistic ' suck it and see approach" my 25/30 went straight in, I could have dicked around for hours making mounts beforehand that would not have been required.

Ah nice. I heard there was no clearance issues but I wanted to make sure. 

now to compensate for the extra height I need to modify the down pipe, intercooler piping, and radiator hoses correct?

5 hours ago, mugiwara no luffy said:

Ah nice. I heard there was no clearance issues but I wanted to make sure. 

SOME have had clearance issues, block height is about 20mm higher, my point was you will not know until you check after fitting.