SAU Community

Help me identify this turbo?

I own a Miata (MX-5 for you aussies mates) and am in the market for a GT2560R. Found this turbo listed in a Miata B/S/T group on Facebook and purchased it without asking many questions.

https://imgur.com/a/UFFNCky

Identification plate shows GT2560R.

But the plate also shows 707160-5, which if you look up on Google, the results say it's a GT2860R.

Wastegate actuator is 430819-167, which shows up on Google being for a GT2860R.

Someone on Miata forums also made a comment about the 9-blade turbine which doesn't exist on GT2560R turbos.

Edited by Mista Miata

Well, 707160-5 is a "-5" turbo. Can't really say if that is or is not what you wanted for an mx-5, what is the capacity? 1.6, 1.8?

Those turbos are a common upgrade as a pair on rb26 motors, but most people find them too big/laggy for street use in that setup

Hey mate,

The short version is, you'll be happy with that turbo.

Here is a bit of history for that turbo from the www.prospeedracing.com.au website - 

This GT2560R is the factory turbocharger that is fitted to the JDM Nissan S15 200SX.

This Turbocharger can also be known as the "GT28R", "GT2860R" or "S15 Ball Bearing" turbocharger. The Garrett model designation though is GT2560R, as it runs a T25 turbine wheel, and a 60mm Exducer Compressor wheel.

This Turbocharger is a direct bolt-on replacement for the Nissan S13, 180SX CA18DET/SR20DET, with the use of a compressor inlet/outlet conversion kit (see related products). A slight Elongation of the mounting holes on the factory oil drain fitting is also required.

This Turbocharger is a direct bolt-on replacement for the Nissan S14 Silvia, and Nissan S15 200sx. A slight Elongation of the mounting holes on the factory oil drain fitting is required when fitting to the S14, or Australian delivered S15.

This Turbocharger is a direct replacement for the GT2560R (466541-5001S), with the only differences being the turbine housing & turbine wheel material.

48 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Well, 707160-5 is a "-5" turbo. Can't really say if that is or is not what you wanted for an mx-5, what is the capacity? 1.6, 1.8?

Those turbos are a common upgrade as a pair on rb26 motors, but most people find them too big/laggy for street use in that setup

It’s a 1.6 MX-5. If this turbo is indeed a GT2860R, it will be too laggy for my application.

Edited by Mista Miata

18 minutes ago, Mista Miata said:

It’s a 1.6 MX-5. If this turbo is indeed a GT2860R, it will be too laggy for my application.

Don't be so sure. The GT2860R was used in the MX5 SP, which was a 1.8 from the "Factory"

GTR's run 2 of them, so 1.3L per turbo. It's a bit laggy but eh. They would probably be fine on a 3.2L motor for example running two..

So 1.6 may be alright. Worth trying in the very least.

7 hours ago, Mista Miata said:

I would be blown away if that turbo was too laggy for you. 

I know of many Suzuki Swift Gti with their little 1.3L motors, running that exact turbo and it is not laggy in that application. 

By what RPM do you need boost to start building and when do you want peak boost by?

If what you say is the case then Prospeed Racing doesn't know their stuff .

Garrett Turbo 707160-5 is actually a GT2860R specifically with housings to suit twin aps on RB26's . It was intended to be a direct fit replacement for OE GTR twins . It's actually fairly similar to the once well know HKS specific Garrett GT2530 .

GT2530 uses the same turbine as this 707160-5 making it also technically a GT2860R .

There was a huge range of turbos in the GT25 and GT28 ball bearing range . Probably the "easiest" way to track them is by their cartridge , CHRA (centre housing rotating assembly) , numbers . For example the "GT2530" uses cartridge number 446179-21 where the 707160-5 uses cartridge number 446179-51 . AFAIK the 707170-5 was never OE on anything .

Just to confuse things there was from memory one turbine size in the GT25BB family and two in the GT28BB family . Of the two in the GT28BB group there was also a cropped (ground down) special made for HKS .

The higher performance GT28BB turbine was the 53.8mm OD NS111 turbine in 76 trim . Again from memory it fist came out in the HKS specific GT2530 , GT2535 and GT2540 . Later Garrett were able to market their own turbo variations with this turbine eg their GT2860R , GT2860R 707160-5 , GT28RS and the GT2871R family in 48/52/56 compressor trims . Actually the 52T version was originally the HKS specific "GTRS" . 

Anyway all this aside 707160-5 is RB26 specific so not really a good choice for a four pot single turbo application . I reckon this turbine wouldn't be terribly responsive on a 1600cc four . I think you would be better of with a generic GT25BB turbo if you really want something in this range . There should be lots of info on line about Garrett turbos on MX5/Miata BP16 engines . I remember ages ago reading about what Bell Engineering was doing with them in the states . I think the site was Turbo Miata or Flying Miata , something like that .

A .

6 hours ago, discopotato03 said:

If what you say is the case then Prospeed Racing doesn't know their stuff .

Garrett Turbo 707160-5 is actually a GT2860R specifically with housings to suit twin aps on RB26's . It was intended to be a direct fit replacement for OE GTR twins . It's actually fairly similar to the once well know HKS specific Garrett GT2530 .

GT2530 uses the same turbine as this 707160-5 making it also technically a GT2860R .

There was a huge range of turbos in the GT25 and GT28 ball bearing range . Probably the "easiest" way to track them is by their cartridge , CHRA (centre housing rotating assembly) , numbers . For example the "GT2530" uses cartridge number 446179-21 where the 707160-5 uses cartridge number 446179-51 . AFAIK the 707170-5 was never OE on anything .

Just to confuse things there was from memory one turbine size in the GT25BB family and two in the GT28BB family . Of the two in the GT28BB group there was also a cropped (ground down) special made for HKS .

The higher performance GT28BB turbine was the 53.8mm OD NS111 turbine in 76 trim . Again from memory it fist came out in the HKS specific GT2530 , GT2535 and GT2540 . Later Garrett were able to market their own turbo variations with this turbine eg their GT2860R , GT2860R 707160-5 , GT28RS and the GT2871R family in 48/52/56 compressor trims . Actually the 52T version was originally the HKS specific "GTRS" . 

Anyway all this aside 707160-5 is RB26 specific so not really a good choice for a four pot single turbo application . I reckon this turbine wouldn't be terribly responsive on a 1600cc four . I think you would be better of with a generic GT25BB turbo if you really want something in this range . There should be lots of info on line about Garrett turbos on MX5/Miata BP16 engines . I remember ages ago reading about what Bell Engineering was doing with them in the states . I think the site was Turbo Miata or Flying Miata , something like that .

A .

Thanks for the info! 

Bell Engineering and Flyin’ Miata have split. Flyin’ Miata is the current force in turbo kits for Miata, followed by smaller companies. 

BEGi (Bell Engineering Group Inc.) has split into two companies, with Corky Bell creating MaxG Motorsports and his daughter, Stephanie Bell-Turner, creating Bell Tuning & Performance, which have fallen off and Miata owners in the states have steered clear of.

And yeah, a vast majority prefabbed kits here in the states utilize a GT2554R or a GT2560R.

With all the readings I’ve done, the GT2560R is best turbo to run on a stock 1.6/1.8 MX-5. 

While the GT2860R does provide more power, it doesn’t hit full boost until 4500rpm on a stock motor.

Edited by Mista Miata

All good , good to hear Corky is still around as well .

And yep I remember hearing good things about that GT2554R on BP16s and 18s as well .

At one stage I think I had a GT2554R kicking around in the cave somewhere . IMO you need turbos to wake reasonably early on pure street cars with reasonably small capacity engines . My understanding is that there is limited space in MX5 engine bays and those engines tend to work better in fairly mild states of tune .

Anyhow if I find that 2554 I'll let you know .

Cheers , Adrian .