SAU Community

Brakes Direct BBK

On 17/09/2021 at 11:55 AM, r32-25t said:

I have been looking into these and thanks to this post, I’ll now stop looking into these 

To be honest they are a fantastic kit, brakes direct are just f**king useless on reachhing delivery times.

But call them up

Ask lead time

be very direct about their well known issues and ask for a clear honest answer of when they will arrive.

mine arrived a week or so late, during covid, but it had the wrong brake pads and it took forever to fix.

end of the day i am still happy with the kit, its just abundantly clear brakes direct are useless.

• 2 months later...

Right, so I've had the brakes in for a little while now, so I thought I'd review the brakes.

With all the fitment issues aside, the brakes themselves are 'fkn' amazing. Initial bite on the FP3 pads are sharp and instant. I get absolutely NO noise at all. I had to bleed the brakes a few times as it was a bit spongy, so now its pretty damn good. It inspires alot of confidence to push hard.

I have yet to really stomp on it, and I haven't had any sustained repetitive braking yet, but on the street the brakes are a dream. I've done a few hardish stops from around 80-100 and boy does she pull up well(without warming them up).

I will take her out to a track in the next month or two and will get to see how she performs. I've since also talked to Brakes Direct, and their communication is pretty damn good as well.

• Like 1

Yeah they are great. Customer service aside though. And yes, that's perhaps something they can change in future.

One thing i forgot to mention was that you don't feel the big jolt in braking. Hard to explain, but I don't feel that big surge of negative G when I brake moderately, however it certainly scrubs the speed off. This is my first BBK, so i cant compare with others out there. Over the next few weeks I'll do some repetitive 100-0 tests and report back.

On 06/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, hattori hanzo said:

FP3 pads i found junk at the track and have been using Pagid RSL29 which are fantastic

Project mu club racers i disintegrate after a few laps

Are you running the same 378mm/6 pot alcons in the front too? If so, where did you get your pagids from? Whats it like on the road?

I have 380mm front alcons.

Carbotech XP12 pads. big of squeal on the road but an excellent track pad.

355mm rear brakes with 4x31.8 CAR98s going on in the next few weeks but the knee point of the BM57 will be all wrong for the new setup as the piston area is so large.  Am looking at options for bringing it down (external prop valve probably)

Edited by burn4005

On 07/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, burn4005 said:

I have 380mm front alcons.

Carbotech XP12 pads. big of squeal on the road but an excellent track pad.

355mm rear brakes with 4x31.8 CAR98s going on in the next few weeks but the knee point of the BM57 will be all wrong for the new setup as the piston area is so large.  Am looking at options for bringing it down (external prop valve probably)

Did you get the 380mm rotors from Brakes Direct? Are they actual 380 o 378?