SAU Community

Reading KM to MPH and when to shift

4 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

If you can do 120 kph it makes sense to do 120 kph because it's likely that your mpg will be constant

Except aero drag is already becoming dominant at that speed and you will almost certainly do better at 90 km/h than 120.

On 23/03/2020 at 3:45 PM, GTSBoy said:

I have decided to not participate in this discussion any further. Please consider this an act of social distancing, to prevent the risk of infection.

You are now infected....

Shit, now I am too. ?

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Except aero drag is already becoming dominant at that speed and you will almost certainly do better at 90 km/h than 120.

That is true, 90 kph is generally going to yield better mpg than 120 even if the BSFC is worse. But most highways in my area will have everyone doing 100+ kph, late at night 130 kph is not unusual. May as well go a little faster and not risk getting rear-ended. Only on certain arterial roads is it possible to safely do 75-90 kph in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, joshuaho96 said:

For efficiency shift based on the peak efficiency RPM, shift just past the peak efficiency point while maximizing load without encountering high load enrichment so you sweep through the efficiency sweet spot. Looking at the gearing of the GTRs it looks like you want to be shifting at 3000 RPM so you drop down to ~2000 RPM when accelerating. Hold the engine right around 50-60% throttle if this is an NA engine or right at atmospheric pressure for turbo engines for best results.

For cruising pick the highest gear that doesn't have you exceeding the accelerating throttle condition. As for the best speed to cruise at, something high enough that you aren't running below 2000 RPM and something low enough that you don't exceed 3000 RPM.

thank you for replying respectfully. I'm just getting into cars. I have wanted this car specifically for a long time. I've never driven a manual vehicle but I hear it isn't insanely difficult. I'm trying to drive this car as a daily. (yes I know it's not ideal but IDC) I just want to know the best way to driving this car efficiently while also having some fun here and there.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, Anonymous said:

So I've made a little picture that kinda explains what gear to be in and converts the Km to mph on the speedo of a skyline. Does it look correct? Im using this as future reference. (If i manage to buy an r32)

Just get a Greddy Informeter and get their adapter harness for pre-OBD Nissan consult.  It plugs right into the consult port and gives you all the telemetries you need in unit you prefer, including MPH and coolant temp in °F.