SAU Community

Auto gearbox reverse light switch (r33)

Steem

My reverse lights don’t work. There was only one fuse blown in the car and it was a/t control fuse what ever that is but I replaced it Incase it had something to do with it and they still don’t work.

i then checked the globes and they look fine, just a bit of rust in the plug the globe sits in. I then checked to see if power was getting to the connector in the boot and still nothing. So I believe it’s the reverse light switch, however I can’t find it. Is it on the side of the gearbox or is it built into the auto selector? Can anyone guide me in the right direction please.

thanks

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

a/t means Automatic Transmission. A good clue that something is f**ked down there. You don't blow fuses for no reason.

Have you tried searching for "reverse switch auto" on here?

Previous owner did a trans swap because it was bad so I’m assuming/hoping it blew from the old one. As for searching on here I can only find things relating to people doing auto to manual swaps and having trouble with wiring. All I really want is just to know where the location of the switch is so I can test it.

14 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

If you had just followed the advice that GTSBoy had given you the fourth entry of the search gives you the answer.

The fourth one for me shows a guy wanting to connect the wires from an auto box look to a manual box. Is the plug in a different location on the automatic transmission and is the trans the same on the r33 as the r32? If that’s not the right one could you link me the one you are talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

I still can’t find this stupid reverse switch. I did also find out it has 5 gears which makes it a Re5R01a, not sure if that makes a difference in the location or not but there is very limited info on this so I might just end up taking it to a professional seeing as how retarted I am

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I would strongly suggest, that like most early automatics, the reverse switch is bundled up with the inhibitor switch in the shifter.

Like as in it’s inside the car? Not under or screwed in the side of the trans?

This is why my fuses kept blowing. I ended up putting a bigger fuse in and ran it until something started smoking, And well the dash is the last place I expected. I replaced the part as I was lucky enough to have a second one laying around. Everything works fine now.

FFC58F06-1982-4725-BDA8-A04CD5E43558.jpeg

5D1D11F2-0A21-436D-86DB-E1A1E45D3DB3.jpeg

Edited by Steem

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

As a diagnostic tool, despite it revealing your problem, I find it horrifying.

Yes I agree it’s not the best way but I have spent too long trying to fix this with little tools I have. It was a last resort. But I also want to thank you for your help with both problems I have posted here, I really appreciate it