SAU Community

R33 gets hot at lights with ac on

Only does it with ac on any suggestions?has new clutch and fan, water pump, pressure tested and properly bled. ac on will get up to 100 degrees on 40 degree day, i turn ac off and slowly come back down to 78-80

Edited by Blakeo

39 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Is the AC fan working?

On R33s (maybe R32s too) the AC fan isn't really an AC fan, it's more so an "overheat" fan. It is actually hooked to the thermo switch on the side of the radiator and triggers at somewhat close to boiling temps.

On my 1st shit box R33, I ended up replacing it with a Mitsubishi Lancer switch & plug to lower the trigger point. On the 2nd shit box R33, I've placed a diode between the A/C compressor relay trigger & Overheat fan relay trigger to do what it is supposed to do for us Aussies.

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

On R33s (maybe R32s too) the AC fan isn't really an AC fan, it's more so an "overheat" fan. It is actually hooked to the thermo switch on the side of the radiator and triggers at somewhat close to boiling temps.

On my 1st shit box R33, I ended up replacing it with a Mitsubishi Lancer switch & plug to lower the trigger point. On the 2nd shit box R33, I've placed a diode between the A/C compressor relay trigger & Overheat fan relay trigger to do what it is supposed to do for us Aussies.

Cheers at the moment it comes on with the compressor. 

2 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Excuse to buy an aftermarket ECU, tick the box for AC fan to turn on when the compressor is on. 

Already have Link G4+ ecu and it is setup like this. 

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Is the AC fan working?

Yep its working, I'd say it puts out slightly less air than the clutch fan though. 

Maybe I should replace this fan?

hmm my instincts say something else is the problem. For years I ran my R33's air con with no working fan (didn't realise it wasn't working til my compressor started leaking and was replaced). 

Running the air con on hot days, with no working fan, I never had any issues with the car overheating. The only issue I had was the air con wasn't as cold while sitting in traffic, ice cold while driving though. 

I don't have any other suggestions though :(

12 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

hmm my instincts say something else is the problem. For years I ran my R33's air con with no working fan (didn't realise it wasn't working til my compressor started leaking and was replaced). 

Running the air con on hot days, with no working fan, I never had any issues with the car overheating. The only issue I had was the air con wasn't as cold while sitting in traffic, ice cold while driving though. 

I don't have any other suggestions though :(

Were you able to monitor your temps? stock gauge doesnt start moving until 105 ..

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

My bet is that the radiator or water pump or state of bleeding of the system are sad.

Water pump is 100%, new genuine Nissan unit. 

I will try rebleed coolant tomorrow. 

New genuine mishimoto radiator no good? 

I would put money on it being the radiator, I literally just went through this, only mine was more extreme. I did the same as you, timing belt kit, new water pump, thermostat and NEW Mishimoto radiator. Once fitted the car was running noticeably hotter, idled at 88 degrees, however when driving would sit in low 90’s. Put the AC on and would climb to 105, probably would have got hotter if I let it. Changed the radiator, problem solved, car now sits high 70’s -low 80’s, AC on or off, doesn’t bother it. 

On 26/03/2020 at 2:09 PM, GTSBoy said:

Yuh, somehow Mishimoto seems to have picked up a reputation as being legit Jap OEM grade or HiPo stuff, when it is just another generic yum cha. And not always good yum cha either.

I think you should stop using yum cha as that implies quality

Use dim sim instead (cheap, low QA) :P