SAU Community

RB25DET Reliable?

Hello guys,

i am new in this forum but ive been through some posts though to get some information.

Still there are some things i still wanna know because i couldnt find any answers / suggestions for that.

I am looking forward to buy a R33 GTST. its my dream since at least 5 years..

finally i can fulfill it... i am in the Army and i deployed recently so i can afford one easily once im back...

sooo lets get down...

first of all i wanna drive it stock (without big power upgrades). maybe some catback and a couple of small mods.

but in advance i wanna know how reliable the engine is on stock internals.

ive read people had their skys (R33 GTST RB25DET) on around 450-500 hp with stock internals.

but is this realiable tho?

the SKY will be my summer dayli. i think 250 hp rwd will be fun enough for some years. ive had 4 Hondas - 2 CRX, one Prelude and right now im driving some Accord Coupe US model, so its my first RWD car with a strong engine.

ive read about something like soft and hard mapping, so you can choose on what you wanna drive right now - is this worth it or any good?

if i wanna be on the safe side to ride on 450-500 hp, what would your expierences say id have to change to make it solid and reliable?

im really new into all of that so please have mercy guys ive never been driving a turbo before and i dont have that much knowledge about that topic (thats why i ask for your help)

Thank you guys in advance i appreciate any help!

Its not going to be as reliable as your Honda because it will probably be older than you are! The key to reliability is regular servicing and replacing  old parts like wiring looms etc  before they fail.  If the engine is still sound you can modify it sensibly and get a good tune. Go through the modified RB25 DET posts to see what other people have done.

that was all great advise...id like to ad a good place to start is a compression test on engine. pressure up the turbo system check for vac leaks as this controls idle etc and makes things easier like setting up cas, boost, and a bunch of other things. try and get an unmolested car it always makes trouble shooting easier. the more reading you do the better. when I bought my gtr I just started replacing literally everything to be safe from 02's,mafs, iacv, injector seals, fuel filter, intake gaskets,wiring harness's water and oil pump, rad etc. don't need to go crazy but I know the way I did it I had piece of mind and have no problems cranking my boost to 1.4 bar knowing the car is up to the task. I also change my oil every 1500km.  change the headgasket and studs should be good go. I could go on and on as I love helping out cause we all started somewhere! thanks for your service hope you end up with a beauty. tune is a big part of reliability at 500hp. the rb should handle it all day if its setup right and rings are in good shape still.

• Thanks 1

also would like to ad you can keep things very simple and still reach 500hp, don't get caught up in all the hype you hear and read. that being said there are some reputable guys on here that will steer you in the right direction everytime. a good turbo on a 6boost manifold is a good start. GTSboy is a solid member sure he will ad something up here for you he knows his stuff, nizmo_man as well they have helped much with my car.

• Thanks 1

Reliable ? I have a daily R33 and it now has over 420000 km on the clock with the original engine(I got it in from Japan with 49000 km)

It was stock standard when I got it which was the stipulation when I was searching for one.

And I can tell you it was hard to find an unmolested one back around 12 years ago

I really didn't want to stuff around with someone elses problems.

I have since personalized the car to what I like for driving 

Service it every 5000km and I mean EVERY 5000km and keep up the other regular wear and tear maintenance you'll get ages of driving pleasure.

The only issue will be now finding a absolute standard one will be difficult.

• Like 1

amen almost half a million that's wild. they are tough engines. I ran my rb26 with stock ceramics at 1.3 bar for 30,000km regardless of the  hype of them blowing...it handled it like a beast till they started leaking oil. changed to -5's been driving the hell out of it ever since. keep up with maintenance and learn about the car. there simple and you can make them to how ever you want fairly easy. gt35 setup is nice.

These discussions are hopeless. The OP is from the US. So the first task is to work out what is meant by "wheel horsepower" anyway.

It would be safer to start by specifying that the power wanted is 30% or 50% or some other% more than stock. With the knowledge that stock power was originally 187 kW at the engine (or whatever it actually was on a vanilla 25).

But one thing we do know is that RB25s will handle being run at close to 100% power increase for many years. That's a step up from ~140 rwkW (as measured on a typical Aussie roller dyno) up to somewhere between 260-300 rwkW.

If the OP's 450 - 500 HP numbers are US inertial roller dyno numbers, then the upper end of that range is in excess of the believable safe range, and the lower end is probably close to the top of the believable safe range. If the 450 - 500 number are engine HP, then it's a piss easy walk in the park.

It also depends on how you drive it.....drive it like you stole it or race it on the track and its as reliable as the weather.

Look after it and drive it sensibly on the road and they are so reliable that you forget about asking.

53 minutes ago, BK said:

Especially when it's completely theoretical about a car that "may" be purchased in the future....

An old car in the future...……...why do I keep thinking MJ and the DeLorean?

• Haha 1

On 01/04/2020 at 4:49 PM, KiwiRS4T said:

Its not going to be as reliable as your Honda because it will probably be older than you are! The key to reliability is regular servicing and replacing  old parts like wiring looms etc  before they fail.  If the engine is still sound you can modify it sensibly and get a good tune. Go through the modified RB25 DET posts to see what other people have done.

I am a old man... Ill turn 29 this year ?

Servicing is no question, thats the most important thing. Thats how i treated all of my hondas so far. Thanks for the advice! Im currently in a tent but once i moved into a container i could do more resesarch on my laptop

On 01/04/2020 at 6:34 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

that was all great advise...id like to ad a good place to start is a compression test on engine. pressure up the turbo system check for vac leaks as this controls idle etc and makes things easier like setting up cas, boost, and a bunch of other things. try and get an unmolested car it always makes trouble shooting easier. the more reading you do the better. when I bought my gtr I just started replacing literally everything to be safe from 02's,mafs, iacv, injector seals, fuel filter, intake gaskets,wiring harness's water and oil pump, rad etc. don't need to go crazy but I know the way I did it I had piece of mind and have no problems cranking my boost to 1.4 bar knowing the car is up to the task. I also change my oil every 1500km.  change the headgasket and studs should be good go. I could go on and on as I love helping out cause we all started somewhere! thanks for your service hope you end up with a beauty. tune is a big part of reliability at 500hp. the rb should handle it all day if its setup right and rings are in good shape still.

Oh yes ive read about compression test. Stock they should be on 12 bar. But everything above 9 should be good as far as i know. And there shouldnt be a big difference between the cylinders. 

Yeah ill try to get a clean one. 

Wow... Thats great work, bro! A good investment for sure! Its so important to be on the safe side especially if u did ig urself u know what ur dealing with

I highly appreciate your help! Hope we can stay in contact! 

22 hours ago, BK said:

Especially when it's completely theoretical about a car that "may" be purchased in the future....

Im not from the US - how would u say that? 

And i am going to buy a Sky for 100% when i come back. 

Why is it wrong to get information about it in advance? Makes no sense. 

Preperation is the most important thing. 

Ill drive the sky like i drove with all of my hondas. Ill take care of it like its my own baby ??

46 minutes ago, Lowkey27 said:

Seemed like a fair assumption. Your Accord Coupe says "US model". You are on posting with the army talking about buying a Skyline. There would have to have been 2000 such posts from US army guys on here over the last 20 years. Mostly when they are posted to Japan. And you refer to Skylines as "Sky", which is odd, and the sort of thing we might expect to evolve in a place (like the US) that vaguely knows about Skylines but has been starved of them.

Edited by GTSBoy

23 minutes ago, Lowkey27 said:

And i am going to buy a Sky for 100% when i come back. 

Why is it wrong to get information about it in advance? Makes no sense. 

Preperation is the most important thing. 

Ill drive the sky like i drove with all of my hondas. Ill take care of it like its my own baby ??

Didn't say you were in the US, but you haven't bought the car yet have you ?

How reliable xyz is has been covered umpteenth times. Did you have a thorough read at the RB25 Dyno results section for results at all before posting ? All of the pros and cons on reliability are fairly well documented by now....

Not having a go, but you clearly put zero effort into doing any of your own research before posting. SAU has a massive database for the common stuff after nearly 20 years.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/EjdbmLYIhjo

https://youtu.be/ir3h_yMqf04

also check out “garage13” rb rebuild. 

i would suggest upon buying your r33.... u sit down and make a build plan cause if you want somthing reliability, well sorry bro , YOU are gunna have to make it reliable. its 25 years old and abused. You can rebuild everything your self and you might be surprised at how cheap it is to do, but be prepared as it will be a very long and hard journey. Patience, research, and a workshop manual is key. 

• 8 months later...

Hello guys!😄

It's been over half a year - fortunately everyone of us came back home without any major damage!

i also have some news about the car of my dreams...

so originally i wanted to get a GTST but ive followed the market in europe and the price for the GTST's went up alot..

so i decided ill just pay some more and  get a GTR then....

after months of searching i got a nice offer from someone selling it who had no time and place for it no more...

of course there are some things to do but the price was really good and i think its a good base.

i will follow up with pictures and more information about the car this weekend!

i hope you guys are all fine and thank you again for the help earlier i highly appreciate it !!!

i wish you all a merry christmas 🎅

if you end up getting the car print out the r32 gtr manual...your gunna need it eventually. spend the first few weeks maintaining it, and making sure all is right before you go driving it around and damage it when something simple could have been changed. awd nitrogen canister is good to replace right away its above rear diff, ditch the hicas/lock it out. change fluids, make sure your coilpacks and injectors are clean/working proper wont hurt  to through a coilpack harness on it there cheap. lots of these cars have cracked up crank pulleys so a descent balancer is always a good idea. ill help when i can cheers mate. good wheel alignment, tires, brakes. they are worth keeping nice these cars, and can really be great daily drivers, i daily mine all the time at 450whp. simple mistakes can be costly in this world. look at my build thread i just finished putting my black gtr back together after a simple bad tire caused a bad crash almost lost car and myself. simple set of new tires would of saved me 10 grand. cheers mate merry christmas as well

ohh ok ill try to get a manual. but why for the 32 and not 33?

i guess thats the canister isnt it? 

Nissan 41630-20U00 Attesa ETS Accumulator Assembly for RB26DETT Skyline R32 R33

ive read it keeps the AWD system pressure constantly up so there minimum delay when u need torque on ur front wheels.

is it always good just to replace to go sure nothing happens right? my car has around 75k KM

i also have problems with my coils theres one plug broke off so the cables arent stable in the coil. i have to check the injectors i havent yet.

what do you mean by a balancer is always good ? do you mean just replacing them with new ones or is a blancer a special part you can get?

i only found those crank pulleys over here in germany

ALU RIEMENSCHEIBEN SET (3 teilig) LILA für Nissan GTR BNR32 RB26DETT RB20 / RB25

damn mate thats so unlucky... thank god you are well... thats the most important thing mate..

thank you very much ill post the pictures and videos ive taken now and then open a build thread

see you hopefully :) 

enjoy christmas