SAU Community

Skyline cold start problems

G’morning my skyline R33 turbo,manual won’t start when cold. It will fire eventually but won’t continue to run.Starts first time when hot.I have changed spark plugs & coils. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Robbert.

Do you have a strong battery with good connections? Another possibility is the temp sensor for the ecu. It is the one with two terminals ..the one with a single terminal is for your dash gauge. Unplug the ecu terminal and if the car starts better then that one needs to be replaced.

8 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Do you have a strong battery with good connections? Another possibility is the temp sensor for the ecu. It is the one with two terminals ..the one with a single terminal is for your dash gauge. Unplug the ecu terminal and if the car starts better then that one needs to be replaced.

47 minutes ago, Nortyone said:

Yes brand new battery and terminals clean as a whistle. Could you please give me more info where ECU is .thx.

47 minutes ago, Nortyone said:

Yes brand new battery and terminals clean as a whistle. Could you please give me more info where ECU is .thx.

ECU is in the LHS kick panel but you don't need to access it - disconnect the sensor at the sensor: follow the top hose to the block and you will find two sensors - just pull the plug off the one with two wires.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Mine starts in any temperature 1st go, and idles fine

Out of interest, how often do you start / drive it? Does it sit for weeks/months, then still start first go?

Have an R33 GTST track car with lots of mods, including E85. It starts fine when cold if it's run regularly, but if it sits for a while (> a month) it's very hard to start - crank until battery goes flat, recharge & try again....

31 minutes ago, GeeDog said:

Out of interest, how often do you start / drive it? Does it sit for weeks/months, then still start first go?

Have an R33 GTST track car with lots of mods, including E85. It starts fine when cold if it's run regularly, but if it sits for a while (> a month) it's very hard to start - crank until battery goes flat, recharge & try again....

Probably once every 2 weeks and yes it just sits around in my back yard. Last time I drove it was at the Sparesbox skid pan (performed terribly, never take a track car to a skid pan, it doesn't skid very well)

E85 is fun, there's a fine line between wetting the plugs and not starting and not enough cranking fuel to get it started. Then there's all the other dimensions of intake air temp, ethanol concentration, etc. I find adding a good amount to the initial prime table makes all the difference. Happy to send you my kebabtech tune file for R&D if you like.