SAU Community

Help identify my Rb26

Just bought a RB26 that the buyer claimed was a R34 engine. I’m confused because it has the black CAS and the red valve covers with Skyline GTR emblem plate, but it has and igniter and the older coil pack design. From my research this combination doesn’t make any sense. Out of all the threads I found about the engine numbers it’s seems that the first number correlates to the year. Can someone look up the number still?  RB26 072998A.  

The number does not correlate to the year, they are just consecutive numbers

There are probably lots of little changes along the way in different series. Easiest one I can think of it here is a sump on it is that R34 had a much longer diff ratio that the 4.1 in r32 and r33. 

But ultimately, other than knowing if the buyer was honest I'm not sure why it would matter. They are mechanically same same one the inside

45 minutes ago, Rickyv42 said:

Yeah it came with the R33/32 coil packs and an igniter. 

Did it come with a diff and did you check the ratio (although I presume you can bolt an R34 diff on to an R33)?

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Did it come with a diff and did you check the ratio (although I presume you can bolt an R34 diff on to an R33)?

Yeah you can (why would you?), but you can't go the other way though. Can't bolt the bigger R32/R33 4.11 crown wheel into the R34 smaller front diff housing in the sump.

Who cares though, late 32/33/34 is all the same block / bottom end as Duncan mentioned.

34 head casting is the same as the rest but the exhaust camshaft is different on cas drive, requiring the later cas. That said the 34 cas can be modified to fit the 32/33 cams, so you still wouldn't know what's up without pulling stuff apart.