SAU Community

26 Intake on a 20, read first

So I'm looking at switching up my Intake setup due to an aftermarket turbo manifold.

Here are my specs before you tell me to spend my money elsewhere or to buy a 25 Yada Yada:

Hybrid Performance Turbo Manifold

GCG high flowed RB25 turbo 

GTR Injectors (444cc I believe)

Z32 AFM

Nistune 

So, the problem I face is with the standard J Pipe, the exhaust manifold is about an inch from the J Pipe elbow (refer to picture) and this causes concern for Intake Temps.

So instead of heat wrapping and shielding and all that, a buddy has a full RB26 intake setup that he said he'd give me if I want it. My main question is if I buy this OtakuGarage adapter plate, what issues will I face?

My thinking is that it'll make the intercooler piping shorter, and not run over the exhaust which could heat up my Intake Temps.

I'm looking for answers and solutions, not hate on RB20s. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200301_163836.jpg

How much money will you have to spend on the 26 intake (throttle shaft sealing, throttle plate sealing, etc, gaskets, coolant & air hoses, etc) to make it workable?

I thought about putting a 26 intake onto my RB20 20 years ago, and realised that it was a waste of time and money.

I'd just throw some ACL heat shield at this problem.

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

How much money will you have to spend on the 26 intake (throttle shaft sealing, throttle plate sealing, etc, gaskets, coolant & air hoses, etc) to make it workable?

I thought about putting a 26 intake onto my RB20 20 years ago, and realised that it was a waste of time and money.

I'd just throw some ACL heat shield at this problem.

Yes, I've got some DEI heatsheilding stuff in mind, and wondered whether this idea would be better in the long run.

As for seals and everything, the cost of that shouldn't be too much

It was tried years ago on an rb20 and because of the short intake runners it made the poor low down torque even worse.

a better and cheaper idea would be to remove the factory L pipe and fabricate a J shaped pipe that doesn’t cross the exhaust side

Pros - engine bay looks cool.

Cons - eliminating long runner inlet costs torque. (very bad on a torqueless RB20)

Outcome - any perceived gains in improved "response" are swamped by the loss of torque that the factory gained through empirical R&D.

Suggest - run heat shielding, drive and be happy with turbo + tune.

10 hours ago, kye32gtst said:

As for seals and everything, the cost of that shouldn't be too much

I think you missed the point. Do you know how loose and sloppy these shitty old throttle bodies get after a gazzillion years of opening and closing? and how much work people have to put into making them good again?

I'm talking work, when I say "sealing". I'm not talking just the cost of actual seals.

And when I was talking about hoses and such, you do realise that there is very little from the RB20's collection of vacuum and water hoses that you can use, and that using the shitty old 26 gear that's been lying around dry in a shed for years is probably not the greatest idea, unless you like taking al that shit back off in a few months to fixed all the cracked and or burst hoses?

5 hours ago, r32-25t said:

It was tried years ago on an rb20 and because of the short intake runners it made the poor low down torque even worse.

a better and cheaper idea would be to remove the factory L pipe and fabricate a J shaped pipe that doesn’t cross the exhaust side

Perfect example of using a short runner manifold vs standard. The only thing I would use is the plazmaman plenum which bolts to factory runners.
IMG_20191210_110548.thumb.jpg.0992b12b5b24dc9dfd1ed6f4e5c3daad.jpg

1 hour ago, kye32gtst said:

Thank you for everyone's input, guess I'll save the 1000 for the Plazmaman intake, I'll just hope that cylinders 5-6 don't get too unhappy. Cheers

Save a $1000 and don't buy the Plazaman intake either...get a Hypergear turbo instead.

1 minute ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Save a $1000 and don't buy the Plazaman intake either...get a Hypergear turbo instead.

You have read that I've got a High Flowed 25 turbo right? Capable of 25 psi and 400hp. I'm looking for intake solutions, not trying to fix an issue by chucking a bigger turbo at it. 

Wrap the manifold (or, even better, ceramic coat it). Place a layer of heat shield material BETWEEN the manifold and the intake pipe. Not touching either. Mounted with little brackets so something.

Presto, no heat transfer worth worrying about. That would even be true even without doing anything to the manifold, just the heat shield, as I said in my first reply.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

Wrap the manifold (or, even better, ceramic coat it). Place a layer of heat shield material BETWEEN the manifold and the intake pipe. Not touching either. Mounted with little brackets so something.

Presto, no heat transfer worth worrying about. That would even be true even without doing anything to the manifold, just the heat shield, as I said in my first reply.

Okay sweet, I was just concerned about the heat transfer part. Thanks for clearing that up

2 hours ago, kye32gtst said:

You have read that I've got a High Flowed 25 turbo right? Capable of 25 psi and 400hp. I'm looking for intake solutions, not trying to fix an issue by chucking a bigger turbo at it. 

Yep I saw that - I had one of those and just made 273KW on a 25 so I don't think you'll see 400hp but happy to see you prove me wrong.