SAU Community

R33 Coupe (WR33KD)

Gearbox is great and most likely the best mod I have done to the car, yeah they cost a lot but with the way I treat the car it needs one. My partner takes in on the track and she drives it just fine if anything she needs to be abit harder on it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So with the new year here we have decided to swap turbos and exhaust manifolds and run a holset gen2 that’s a kiwi made turbo and run a aem meth kit. With the aim of around 500-550kw at the wheels. 
fingers crossed it shouldn’t take long and maybe push a 9sec quarter 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So having the cage in and it being teched I can now run 10s with out being kicked off.

had the fun day at meremere where you can take passengers so my partner and kids headed up for the day. Wasn’t meant cars there maybe 25 in total, that ment very little waiting. Did 6 back to back runs twice then 2 more before calling it a day. Managed to run 3 10s being a 10.9 and 2 10.8s and taking my partner and son down both being in the car when it ran a 10 was wicked and loved hearing there reactions at the other end.

Next up is our NZ GTR fest not quick like you guys have over the ditch but still going to be a cool day.

C7A24A71-C72A-416E-90C3-6ECC1BC2F793.jpeg

F6AD6FBD-0077-427E-8078-66D423BA1780.jpeg

3A3B5FA3-276C-4737-84EF-1C5DAC30B889.jpeg

DFE9BCAB-0107-493C-BEF0-1F906E83A77C.jpeg

B70CCDFC-5030-48D8-911B-0293E8B30F71.jpeg

E9E49356-F0D5-46E4-957F-1CA828E21D22.jpeg

CCD3D133-ADF1-439C-88BC-43D8FDC5C890.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Wow it’s been awhile since I have updated this. 
Have been braking and replacing parts again. Axles have been changed to DMAX axles and the nismo 2 way destroyed another crown where just outside my house and I wasn’t even driving the car. So how have 2 rebuild r200 2ways now so having a spare will keep it on the Raod with little down time. Track time and drag time haven’t been high COVID killed that so my seat time has been very little.

Did put a quick release on to make getting in and out easier 7DB53168-CA0E-4C66-BA1D-6430577F382C.thumb.jpeg.1d07215283bf61961d618cf6044d30c9.jpeg

NRG boss and release was the way to go and makes it way cleaner as well.

Also did this to be different.F9B3D24C-AB8A-4C84-8063-F0C0B77B700B.thumb.jpeg.6a5bfa4ce05b32c066947900b512147a.jpeg

And just some more pics from a track day we went to.

13619025-E0CB-4580-B152-028CA1247AF7.thumb.jpeg.3398561c801b29f01ac46eb34df78758.jpeg287E0551-2755-449D-8E96-E43AAF82959C.thumb.jpeg.91b037fcbca22db999b41f4ffdd15e2b.jpeg15F0BD9E-EBB6-4BD1-A5BC-DCEAE4B003B5.thumb.jpeg.8388ed38c31b275ab1baf25d946375c2.jpeg

Also got some instergram cam covers1D7B2FB5-9CA1-43CA-B056-2E4D04BFFAFD.thumb.jpeg.e1902172e10c19d76408361dd582e5e6.jpeg

Should have another up date in the next couple of weeks if all goes to plan

• Like 1

On 12/06/2022 at 8:37 AM, WR33KD said:

nismo 2 way destroyed another crown where just outside my house and I wasn’t even driving the car.

What caused this? Is it an issue specific to the Nismo?

On 12/6/2022 at 11:58 AM, Robzilla32 said:

What caused this? Is it an issue specific to the Nismo?

Unsure, has been in the car for awhile now. Running 265 semis on the back does make hard tight turns. Could have been wear and tear I guess 

So been talking to my turbo builder and tuner for the pass couple months now trying to lock down a turbo and set up.

My current exhaust manifold is only id35mm and my turbo builder is asking for a 39mm. So now car is booked in for a stainless manifold at 39mm id and that’s for the gen2 holset.

Also my tuner is going to hook up water meth aswell. E85 is to much hassle and trying to get it here in time for a track day would be hard enough but meth is everywhere. (Can you mix the white stuff up)

So now trying to lock in a week to get it all done and back by August for another event.

Power goals I’m among for would be around 550rwkw but we will have to wait and see.

E85 in nz is hit and miss and can’t buy it at the pump yet, if we ever will be able to buy it at the pump again hence water/meth and it’s a lot easier to deal with means more money of only car things. 
Sticking with holset again hasn’t done me any wrong yet and Steve is a super good guy can ask him again and he gets straight back to me quick as.

On 20/06/2022 at 12:15 PM, WR33KD said:

E85 in nz is hit and miss and can’t buy it at the pump yet

Hit and miss how ? You can buy it by the drum in NZ yes ? Surely this would still be the preferred option using E85 purely for your motorsport applications over water / meth injection 

If I get a tune to say e70 I would still need to mix the fuel and store it. If I got a tune to e85 and the fuel ordered isn’t e85 then I am at a loss.

Water meth is easy and meth is cheap and easy to get a hold of. Running a 50/50 mix will last ages and is only used when a peak boost is hit 

On 20/06/2022 at 3:34 PM, BK said:

Hit and miss how ? You can buy it by the drum in NZ yes ? Surely this would still be the preferred option using E85 purely for your motorsport applications over water / meth injection 

Buying it at the drum has become erratic too.   You can end up waiting for ages for it to become available, or people ceasing to provide it at no warning etc.

yeah as Lith said over here E85 is getting hard to get, and it won't be coming to the pump, Gull has confirmed that and no other stations in NZ were interested at all.

i haven't played with meth before so wasn't sure if you get the same results as ethanol.

the reason i said the EFR is you can make over 550kw on the manifold you have with on

On 20/06/2022 at 4:45 PM, WR33KD said:

If I get a tune to say e70 I would still need to mix the fuel and store it. If I got a tune to e85 and the fuel ordered isn’t e85 then I am at a loss.

Water meth is easy and meth is cheap and easy to get a hold of. Running a 50/50 mix will last ages and is only used when a peak boost is hit 

I have a mate running a very hot 2J and he has started running a methanol petrol mix over ethanol as its easier to get and store, and he can cart the methanol to the track and mix it there with local pump gas.

I believe the tuning is not too different vs e85, but I don't know about the functionality of a flex fuel sensor on methanol.

Edit, this is in taranaki NZ

Edited by fraz gts4
  • Like 1

Also another reason is I do drive my car most weekends and during the week if I get the chance so being able to hit any pump and fill it up is a huge win. 
The plan for this motor was always to aim 1000hp be that engine or wheel. So by moving up to the new holset over the instergram turbos is that he’s only 2hrs away. He had huge input into what went into my engine. He has never done me wrong and his turbos and the bees knees. Not to mention that the turbo on the car was only ment for 600engine and we are over 600 at the wheels.

That sucks man about the E85 situation.

So this is no go then ?

https://e85.co.nz/

I live 1500km away from my closest E85 on pump in either Darwin or Adelaide and have to buy it by the drum most of the time, so I know about the pain it causes sourcing it. Everytime I'm in SA I bring back at least 2 x 60 litre drums. That said it is definitely worth it when needed for Motorsport applications because it's so much more cost effective than unleaded race fuels like Sunoco or VP

On 20/06/2022 at 2:15 PM, WR33KD said:

On 20/06/2022 at 4:57 PM, WR33KD said:

Also another reason is I do drive my car most weekends and during the week if I get the chance so being able to hit any pump and fill it up is a huge win.

From your comments you appear to not understand how flex fuel tuning works. Neither of the above is true or a problem when running ethanol as a flex fuel setup with ethanol content sensor. You tune the car to compensate boost, timing and AFRs to any ethanol mixture between 0 and 85% (or higher if available). This is really the only way to go unless the car is a dedicated track car on E85 only, so you can run any combination of unleaded and E85 (any blend in between). No changing tunes, no draining tanks for different fuels and no complicated WMI to fill up or fail.

Only E85 out of a drum is anywhere close to 85% ethanol content - on pump it is generally lucky to be 70 - 75% and obviously less when adding to existing in tank unleaded. This doesn't matter as the advantage of the anti knock properties of ethanol (and therefore power gain) above say 65% - 70% is negligible, so anything above 60 - 65% is generally your full boost and timing advance ceiling region anyway.

Just in the event it is actually easier to obtain soon I'd still look into at least flex fuel ready setting up your system, even if you can only obtain it irregularly. Fingers crossed for Racefuels in NZ for you guys.

Edit: Seen the E85 from Racefuels has started shipping again to NZ in the last 2 weeks from Melbourne, so hopefully they keep the supply up.

I understand the tuning side of it. If I have a max tube of e75 but I am only ever running e60 I won’t be using the cars full power until I reach e75. Hence why running meth was the option for me. We did look at running a C fuel but the cost was way up there for now. 
If e85 makes a come back I will look at it again also I want to step the power up bit by bit. If I was to go from 300kw to 600kw in one jump I think I would crash. Not only that but parts of the car won’t handle 600kw now like tyres, 265 only just hold the 450kw now so new wheels and tyres will be on the cards.

Have got the green light to drop the car off Friday 

On 21/06/2022 at 6:06 AM, WR33KD said:

I understand the tuning side of it. If I have a max tube of e75 but I am only ever running e60 I won’t be using the cars full power until I reach e75. Hence why running meth was the option for me. We did look at running a C fuel but the cost was way up there for now. 

Have got the green light to drop the car off Friday 

It looks like you don't, as @BKsaid - you'll have practically all the advantage of an ethanol blend by E60 anyway, if the flex fuel tune has been done well then the "E75" max tune or even "E85" will really at most be a barely perceptible amount more pep.    Big advantage of ethanol is that you're actually officially allowed it on the street and at events, with a WMI kit you potentially have to worry about who notices you are running methanol on your car.

Not hating at all, full understand the other reasoning you have for it - just pointing out a couple of things you seem to have a mistaken understanding on or may not have considered about why people usually go ethanol over WMI.  In terms of the power levels as well, with appropriate tuning you should also have control over how much power you get.  You don't have to go full send on the dyno immediately, or you can go for the max power then but have to option of how much you ACTUALLY use with boost control etc so you can grow into the cars potential.   Gotta love modern ECUs etc :)

Anyway, quite interested to see how this build comes out - I have a soft spot for the path less trod, we can learn things from it and as much as going the proven path is usually the safest way to a good result.. it is rewarding having something a little different.    Good luck and keep the updates flowing :)