SAU Community

R33 Coupe (WR33KD)

One big thing people leave out about e85 is the amount of fuel you use vs pump. I have done research and talked to people and for a street driven car to and from work and the shops it was way out. I get flex fuel and running a pump tune and a e85tune.

im still running 1000cc injectors, Steve thinks they will be done with water meth. I know for that 1000hp number e85 will most likely have to be used to get the bang going 

On 21/06/2022 at 11:04 AM, WR33KD said:

One big thing people leave out about e85 is the amount of fuel you use vs pump. I have done research and talked to people and for a street driven car to and from work and the shops it was way out. I get flex fuel and running a pump tune and a e85tune.

im still running 1000cc injectors, Steve thinks they will be done with water meth. I know for that 1000hp number e85 will most likely have to be used to get the bang going 

Yep this is 100% accurate, you'd not want to run E85 to and from work.  The extra volume of fuel you need with ethanol goes up steadily as the blend increases, and that extra fuel usage impacts "just cruising" as well.   You definitely need a big fuel system if you want to make 550+kw on E85, though really if you want 550kw+ then you're probably a bit in denial if you think you can cut costs at this stage.   Block strength is potentially coming into question, OEM Nissan gearboxes are at the end of their line, the whole build has to be pretty serious at this stage.  Going a big fuel system when planning for 700whp+ on a smaller RB is pretty incidental in the grand scheme.

This still brings back the "but run flex fuel" thing, if you are aiming at commuting etc you probably don't want/shouldn't have methanol just sitting around in the car waiting for you to thrash it.  There is the clear bonus that you don't use it when you're just driving it normally, but then also you don't want it to get contaminated over time or even lose track of the level.  It's an extra thing you need to keep an eye on... the flex fuel idea again is one where you only put ethanol in if you want to get up to no good.  By E30 you have really good gains and the impact on fuel economy isn't actually that nasty by that point, if you want to get real fancy for an event then you can try and get it up to E50+ but you don't need to measure or think about it.

After that, keep putting normal pump gas in it and it'll gradually dilute itself down to E10 or less as you top up with pump gas and the tune will dial itself down to suit.   If you have a build that is going to make 550+kw on E85 then it's not going to be gutless on a pump gas friendly tune, and with flex you don't need to keep topping up the WMI, you don't need to do anything special.  Just drive the car and the tune will make sure everything is safe and well.    That's the kind of reasoning we've used at least :)

But yeah "for now" I'm sure if you can do the 550kw power level with pump and WMI and the 1000s  then it's at least a good stepping stone.  

Gearbox, drive shaft and axles have already been swapped out for bigger and better items. 
This tune is just that another stepping stone to the main goal. I’m not one to go all in at 1000hp and crash the thing. With each upgrade I need to re learn and get used to how the car feels. Once this step in done the final step will most likely be e85 and a full re work of the fueling system. Baby steps to get used to the power

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 1:45 PM, WR33KD said:

Gearbox, drive shaft and axles have already been swapped out for bigger and better items. 
This tune is just that another stepping stone to the main goal. I’m not one to go all in at 1000hp and crash the thing. With each upgrade I need to re learn and get used to how the car feels. Once this step in done the final step will most likely be e85 and a full re work of the fueling system. Baby steps to get used to the power

Sounds like a solid plan :)  Its going to be a monster as is.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry not much of an update as the tuner had an engine failure so had to spend time fixing it. But I do have a pic of the turbo.

Both at HRC40rs but one is bigger than the other 1353C9AF-82DB-482B-B424-7F04EFA5655E.thumb.jpeg.9ee6fb7c83c1b8955f08d02a260455ad.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update. Got a burnt valve in number 3 so gotta pull the head and get it to the shop asap. Going to test the injectors and see if it’s a bit bad. Apart from that my tuner has been super busy so car hasn’t changed 

• Like 1

On 25/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, Looney_Head said:

gutted about the burnt valve. hopefully they can turn it round quickly for you

Fingers crossed. Car was ment to be ready by next Thursday by the latest so we will be pushing it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, Looney_Head said:

bugger, any ideas what caused number 3 failure?

Going to test the injectors and see if number 3 was a little weak. Apart from that we have no idea yet

• 7 months later...