SAU Community

Any rust experts?

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first skyline and why not start with an R33 GTR...

I had a mechanic check out a car that’s as generally great but has 2 potential issues, rust in the body by the jack point on the driver side and an unusual join point or weld under the door jam on the same (driver) side. Pics attached.

can anyone tell me if the rust looks bad? Or if the unusual weld is a factory thing (the owner said his other GTR has the same thing)?

TIA

JC

C3BA06CA-4392-4D88-BE39-56B8F220CD08.jpeg

864F715E-1249-465B-8B56-3BAA9783C61F.jpeg

A6349750-0A11-4C82-9C4F-82E67CC5237A.jpeg

The rust  - in the pics - only looks minor.  More could be hidden away.  The jack points are always abused, you need an original jack or an adaptor plate on your jack to avoid damaging the jack points.  I made up a plate to prevent further damage , but my car had already been molested.  The 'unusual join point or weld' I can't really comment on except to say its hard to know where on the car it is from the photo and that it looks serious.

46 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

The rust  - in the pics - only looks minor.  More could be hidden away.  The jack points are always abused, you need an original jack or an adaptor plate on your jack to avoid damaging the jack points.  I made up a plate to prevent further damage , but my car had already been molested.  The 'unusual join point or weld' I can't really comment on except to say its hard to know where on the car it is from the photo and that it looks serious.

Guessing it is on the sill near the trailing edge of the door?

Walk away mate. That car is bent. Don't rush this look at as many as you can and the right one will pop up. Patience will yield you a result you'll be happy with.

Edited by trel
  • Like 1

If that was an R32, it would be under the driver's door scuff plate about 40mm from the back end of said scuff plate. You can't see as much of it on a 32 without removing the scuff plate, but what I can see of mine is that it about 40x better than the pictured one. As the pictured one is on an R33, I don't know why it appears to be separate from where the scuff plate is. Regardless, it looks like pox. The seam filer should be smooth and even and the paint should not look like it was applied with a goose's arse.