SAU Community

Tomei T550b twins for RB26

Hey RB26 guys!

Surprisingly, I can't find many recent turbo threads.  Everything seems to be from 2018 and older...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had experience yet with the new Tomei turbos for RB26: http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/catalogue/t550b-rb26/ 
In due course, I'm looking to upgrade my stock twins, and am curious how these would compare to, say, a pair of EFR 6258, which they look the most similar to. 

What are your recommended upgrades for a target of around 350-380 kw (500-ish hp)?   Reliability and (daily) drivability are my priorities, plus with very limited access to local welders (i.e. no one here does quality custom work like you can find in oz/nz or the US), it has to be fairly bolt-on so I can actually do it myself. 

I intend to keep stock internals, and will do fuel upgrades with the turbo, and probably a stand alone ECU as well.  E85 not an option.   intake/exhaust a given.

Cheers!!

I think I know the repsonses you're going to receive here, so I'll go first. Never heard of them, but just looked them up. At $5000 - $6000 for the kit that doesn't make 600ps at engine it sounds like a huge waste of money. I don't think they'll come close to 350rwkw not running E85 as you have suggested.

From my findings these would not be in the same league power wise as twin EFR6258, but I'll doubt anyone on here in Oz is running these either for comparison. They are not a bolt on either. Full boost Geoff is the best one to give info on them in the EFR thread.

For what you have outlined as your aim for bolt on twins, no E85 and 350rwkw+ you're pretty much back to Garrett -5s mate. Even -7 / -9 seems to be better than these for outright power.

You'll have trouble finding any new info on new bolt on twin upgrades on here, as frankly very few people are investing in any new type turbo bolt in twin setups - Everyone is heading in the single direction for upwards of 300rwkw.

Dyno chart from their marketing literature, turbo barely came out a week ago:

image.png.06a2a5b013c316447e0707ec2c5b2a38.png

Maybe it's the first halfway decent turbo Tomei has put out? From what I recall their ARMS journal bearing turbos were horrendous. Personally I don't buy those dyno charts, it's likely that it gives up some low RPM power to get more power at high RPM.

What confuses me is why the turbine trim is 82. That sounds like a very high number to me. 

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, BK said:

I think I know the repsonses you're going to receive here, so I'll go first. Never heard of them, but just looked them up. At $5000 - $6000 for the kit that doesn't make 600ps at engine it sounds like a huge waste of money. I don't think they'll come close to 350rwkw not running E85 as you have suggested.

From my findings these would not be in the same league power wise as twin EFR6258, but I'll doubt anyone on here in Oz is running these either for comparison. They are not a bolt on either. Full boost Geoff is the best one to give info on them in the EFR thread.

For what you have outlined as your aim for bolt on twins, no E85 and 350rwkw+ you're pretty much back to Garrett -5s mate. Even -7 / -9 seems to be better than these for outright power.

You'll have trouble finding any new info on new bolt on twin upgrades on here, as frankly very few people are investing in any new type turbo bolt in twin setups - Everyone is heading in the single direction for upwards of 300rwkw.

I think these are turbos that are competing with -9s and the HKS GT3-SS, it's shocking to me that power noses over even earlier than stock.