• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the correct location.  While not Skyline specific this is L series motor specific and I thought it worth sharing.  My long term home built and home tuned L28 stroker put down 201.6rwhp on the standard 48mm Hitachi SUs from a '71 240Z.  

The set up could probably make a bit more power if time was spent further ironing out the needles and playing with the programmable ignition.  It's not crazy power but I think it shows that the old Hitachi's in combination with everything else can be underrated.

200406 240Z dyno run-1.jpg

200406 240Z dyno run-2.jpg

A bit more about the build.

• Like 2

Nice.

I don't think anyone who knows what's what would ever argue that carbies don't make power. It's not as though it's difficult to get the mixtures right at peak power. Getting the mixtures right everywhere is the challenge, along with all the other niceties like idle, accel pumps, etc.

Carbs + programmable ignition is no bad thing at all.

That’s some decent power for sure, Do SU’s have idle and main jets or just one set? 

my stoker with triples is sitting around the 290rwhp on 98 but am having some tuning issues with getting the rest out of it. 

SU have a single needle of various taper. Only one part per carb.

I had run 45DCOE152s with 36mm chokes maybe ten years ago. Felt faster than the Hitachi SUs but I couldn’t tune out a lean patch And stutter (20:1 AFR) between the idle and main circuit. I was getting to the point really strange combinations of idle, main, emulsion tube and air correctors that started to impact the rest of the Tune.

Edited by neuby