SAU Community

R33 gtst hub centric ring needed?

hey everyone. As stated in the title, is there a center ring that is suppose to be in there around the hub so it is flush with my rim? Someone at the shop says yes I need one. If not a ring, then is it fine the way it is? I'll order one if needed but what is it called?

20200429_065325.jpg

20200429_065314.jpg

Rb hubs are 66.1mm

Most aftermarket wheels are 73mm and you will need hubcentric rings. What wheels are you using? If they are off another Nissan such as a 350Z etc they will most likely also be 66.1mm

9 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Rb hubs are 66.1mm

Most aftermarket wheels are 73mm and you will need hubcentric rings. What wheels are you using? If they are off another Nissan such as a 350Z etc they will most likely also be 66.1mm

This is a picture of the rim. 

20200429_180637.jpg

Its just a plastic or aluminium ring that takes up the gap between the hub and the wheel centres to locate the wheel when you put it on. The wheel studs do all the work holding the wheel in place.

Yes, this could cause a vibration. In theory if your wheel nuts are tapered as most are the wheel will end up centered on the hub even without the right size wheel bore or hub rings, but if it is even slightly off the wheel will be offset to the centre of the hub and will not turn evenly leading to vibration that increases with speed.

10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

If the bore of the wheel is larger than the spigot on the hub, then yes, you need a ring. It's not completely easy to see what's going on there, but it looks like there's no gap.

When driving at higher speeds a feel a vibration through my steering wheel that I'm trying to eliminate. So far I've replace tires and control arms on all 4 sides. Now I have to replace the rear wheel bearing. I'm hoping that eliminates it. Afterwards I'll take her on highway to see if it dissappears. They just mentioned it at a garage about the ring and I wondered if that had to do with the driving. If you guys say there is no gap then I won't bother touching it. 

1 hour ago, Aphonechanh said:

When driving at higher speeds a feel a vibration through my steering wheel that I'm trying to eliminate. So far I've replace tires and control arms on all 4 sides. Now I have to replace the rear wheel bearing. I'm hoping that eliminates it. Afterwards I'll take her on highway to see if it dissappears. They just mentioned it at a garage about the ring and I wondered if that had to do with the driving. If you guys say there is no gap then I won't bother touching it. 

It is unlikely that the absence of a hub ring is causing the vibration.  More likely it will be either a tyre out of balance or related to the wheel bearing (Although thats less likely).

Diameter should be 66.1 on the car and the same on the rim or if it isnt you will probably find that it is 73.1mm.  As has been said, take the wheel off and measure it.

To answer your original question the name of the ring that goes around the hub is hub ring. EG:

https://au.gktech.com/hub-centric-rings-pair

20200305_165901.jpg

20200305_165921.jpg

But you still have to measure them because they are made in many , many different combinations ( for you the constant will be x x.xx to 66.1) although the most common is 73.1mm.