SAU Community

tyre recommendation

all, 

Full engine rebuild forge and happy with car however there is no grip or minimal

I am thinking of fitting michellen pilot sport 4 s to rear. has anyone fitted this and is it any good?

It was the recommended tyre for m5 . It is currently falken and it is shit as there is no grip and spinning in first , second and third

running 500 bhp.

I checked tyre pressure today and it was 7 psi on passenger side and I had driven it 200 miles back . car was as wobbly as hell and I am lucky to have survived this ...

Would low tyre pressure at rear make car wobbly?

yes it absolutely would. And no, particular brands of tyres aren't shit, they all have better and worse/cheaper tyres in their range, and as tyres get older they harden and lose grip too

So, I'd look at the performance end of any manufacturer's range, if you are looking for value someone like falken (eg FK510) is a good place because they have performance tyres but don't charge brand premium like michelin, dunlop, bridgestone etc

Personally I've got dunlop dz102 on the stagea which are fine and dunlop sport maxx rt on leaf for road and occasional hillcimb use which are good, but there are a million opinions about performance tyres.

The Michelins  would be good street tyres but I believe they are quite pricey. Have a read through the tyre thread to see what other people have used.

As per Murray's suggestion I had a spare set of wheels with slicks for the track. if you can afford it you could buy new ones. I used to buy used tyres from the V8 racing teams. They were fine for my purposes.

Yokohama AD08R is a good street tyre. I will be going back to these after...

Hankook RS4 which started out as a good tyre but is just as noisy now that they are >50% worn as....

Kumho V720, which is a good tyre but it is excruciatingly noisy after the first 2 weeks.

All of these are about as sticky as road tyres get without being kidney money. None of them are really suited for keeping 500HP in check in 1st of 2nd. If you're not going to go a 2nd set of rims with dedicated semis, then this is the most sensible territory to be looking in.

As the other guys have said, there are other candidates in other manufacturer's ranges.

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Yokohama AD08R is a good street tyre. I will be going back to these after...

Hankook RS4 which started out as a good tyre but is just as noisy now that they are >50% worn as....

Kumho V720, which is a good tyre but it is excruciatingly noisy after the first 2 weeks.

All of these are about as sticky as road tyres get without being kidney money. None of them are really suited for keeping 500HP in check in 1st of 2nd. If you're not going to go a 2nd set of rims with dedicated semis, then this is the most sensible territory to be looking in.

As the other guys have said, there are other candidates in other manufacturer's ranges.

Many thanks 

are any of these as good as michelen or pilot sport 4s

looking at pricing they were £80 each compared to £190 for michellen

here people swear by michllen for m5 which is similar power but really struggling to justify £400 for two tyres

10 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No. I just go to must trusted tyre shop and support a local business.

Yeah totally but local tyre shop bridgestone reoo3 for example $1400-1600 tyresales $$950-1050. 

Yokohama v105 on my GT-R. 482bhp at the wheels and these tyres hold up very well. Happy to support a local supplier that also does the wheel alignment.

For the Toorak tractor, I take it wherever is convenient and well priced.

3 hours ago, dyl33 said:

Yeah totally but local tyre shop bridgestone reoo3 for example $1400-1600 tyresales $$950-1050. 

Check the dates of manufacture on the sidewall of the tyres from them. Old stock tyres is why they are cheap no thanks.

6 minutes ago, trel said:

Check the dates of manufacture on the sidewall of the tyres from them. Old stock tyres is why they are cheap no thanks.

Is old stock tyre risky to fit

on ebay 2019 stock tyres are cheaper fair bit

29 minutes ago, trel said:

Yeah that's what i suspect.  I don't go through tyres quickly so dont want to buy already old tyres. 

20 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Just read an Aussie test of ten tyres and Dunlop Sport Max came out on top in most categories. I was looking because my new (to me) car came with a set of brand new HiFly 805 (and they came between 8th and last in everything?).

https://alltyretests.com/hifly-hf805-test-review/

That's what I have on my car (dunlop). Fantastic tyre and good value for money.

Edited by trel