SAU Community

gearbox problem

6 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Mine is gtt r34 with 500 bhp looking to boost up to 650 as it is forge so think having heavy might not be that bad at the end due to power.

just worried it won’t shift in cold morning

It's not just the horsepower figure, it's the torque and drivetrain. You may be able to get away with lightweight, try it first and see if it grinds at all.

47 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

If the synchros are on the way out some lightweight shockproof will help but only delay the inevitable. Don't shift quickly, double-clutch your downshifts. You will be able to get a bit more out of the transmission before rebuild. Don't try to DIY a transmission rebuild unless you feel like taking the transmission out multiple times. You will save a lot of money if you're willing and able to drop the transmission yourself, that's a good chunk of change right there.

It's been 8 years now, ~80000km, and no change in shift quality on my box from the first time it managed to change gears with smurf's blood in it.

26 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

i take it your box was worn so it won't shift and redline brought it back ?

Yes. I bought it for Neo my engine conversion and it changed gears nicely when not spinning, but would not while the engine ran. Changed to lightweight and it would change gears straight away.

26 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

new refurb one is around £1300 and want to kill this, buy one next year and then swap.

I can never understand the "kill this" mentality. I bet you I could happily drive your gearbox for the next 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...