SAU Community

Forward facing Plenum

Adz2332

I shouldn't think so. So long as what the Regency boys would consider the "emissions controls" are all in place then an FFP is not really changing anything that they would be upset about. Of course, that then opens up a whole can of works, because there would be little point in putting an FFP on a car that still had all it's original emissions controls, which includes the unmodified ECU.

Once you have a bigger turbo, to justify the FFP, and possibly a different throttle body, and at minimum have Nistuned the ECU to handle these changes, you are no longer "legal" and would need full engineering of the mods to not be defectable. And of course, engineering for ECU changes invites the emissions testing saga, which is $$, etc etc, blah blah.

The other aspect of an FFP on a Skyline is the problem of cutting a hole anywhere to pass the intercooler pipe through on the driver's side. Most such holes are defectable. It doesn't matter how "non-structural" you think any particular piece of steel is in the front end, they say that it is part of the original crash structure and cutting a hole in it will change the crash performance.

• Like 1

My curren engine bay, wanting a clean look.
After some ideas how to clean up a 32 gtst engine bay.
So far I'm welding all the holes up, re routing the brake lines, shifting the battery and windscreen bottle to the boot and shifting the fuse box to under the dash.

95598634_10163616968125215_6241238598130073600_o.jpg

aren't the rules here 2 intake mods allowed fmic and pod filter would take it up

but yeah safe to say it'll be a defect anyway seeing as they can get you on suspicion anyway.

Good to see you're still kicking around in 32 land

24 minutes ago, CRSKmD said:

aren't the rules here 2 intake mods allowed fmic and pod filter would take it up

No, that's Victoria. SA has always been far more reasonable. Not necessarily easier, once you actually do change stuff, but definitely more reasonable. Hence my authoritative statements in my first reply.

25 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No, that's Victoria. SA has always been far more reasonable. Not necessarily easier, once you actually do change stuff, but definitely more reasonable. Hence my authoritative statements in my first reply.

good to know. i was just speaking from past experience where if it looks modified they are well within their rights to send it for inspection.

though i did find this on the SA.Gov.au site. https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/vehicles/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/engine-and-exhaust-modifications

No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or the catalytic converter are permitted.

Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted. 

image.png.bf8752d71a4daf4dc42b3f6034d235dd.png

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Ooh. I would not have expected that. I wonder when they started saying that? It's been a few years since I last spoke to anyone at Vehicle Standards.

yeah its odd that it specifically mentions plenum chamber modifications. someone must have done something to get them to specifically rule it out.

maybe it was those hidden NOS ones haha