SAU Community

Haltech/power fc ecu

So I was going to keep my GTR r32 reasonably stock but have chosen now to upgrade a few things. Got r34 dumps and front pipes which will bolt up to kakimoto. Going for -9 upgrade and injectiors and fuel pump and rail.If I’m going for 280-300 kw will I need a haltech pro series or can this be achieved with an older tech Power fc. 

Any further advice would be appreciated lads.

Power level does not really dictate ECU choice, especially at lower power levels like 300rwkW. The PowerFC could easily do that. The reason to want a Haltech is if you want your ECU to do specific things that your stock ECU, or another choice like the PowerFC can't, such as various protections based on oil pressure, whatever.

To be perfectly frank though, I wouldn't do either for what you're planning. Just put a Nistune into the stock ECU and enjoy keeping it looking stock, working as good as stock (but perfectly able to handle the bigger injectors, etc), and still better than PowerFC.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 4

Personally I am a huge fan of Nistune as Gtsboy said PowerFC is good but older tech and discontinued where as Nistune has ongoing development and support available. 

I think the problem with cheaping out on the ecu is, you'll likely want more power in future. You've already said you had originally planned to keep it stock... I think once you're at 300kw, you'll be saying the same thing again. Maybe just 400kw and I'll be done... 

To future-proof yourself, I'd say look at something around the Haltech 2500 range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

such as various protections based on oil pressure, whatever.

that is a huge benefit and can save an engine making it cheap insurance. Proper knock monitoring, fuel and oil pressure and wideband and you are pretty safe.

Thanks for the replies lads. I understand Murray _calavera saying about always chasing more power. Seriously I’m just chasing a 300kw neat street car which comes out once a month. Injectors, nistune ,-9’s,34 dumps and frontpipe should get 300kw ??

If you pre-emptively upgrade them..... then either stock or Splitfire are the only stock form factor options worth considering.

But....while I have Splitfires, if I had to replace them I would consider an upgrade to R35 coils. You cannot run significantly different coils against the stock ECU unless you Nistune it, so that you can change the dwell as required.

7 minutes ago, Matty George said:

R35 aren’t direct fitment  for rb26?

Nope. Not even close. They are modern pencil coils, so you need a kit to mount them, which is a plate that interfaces them to the head, essentially replacing the original coil brackets. Platinum Racing do one. There are others. You also need to adapt the wiring connectors, and in the case of an RB26, the original coils require the separate igniter pack, which the R35 coils do no, so the wiring kit needs to delete that.

A much more affordable option would be Splitfires, modern injectors, Haltech Elite 2000 (2500 is overkill if you don't plan on setting up DBW, multistage engine protection, sequential gearbox, traction, etc.), a bunch of sensors, Walbro 460L and flex tune its mum.

Ask your tuner what he prefers. I had a PFC on my R32 GTR (built 2.6 with -5's and cams) and it's been flawless for 9 years. Im currently running a PFC on my R34 GTR with a 2.8, Vcam and -5's. They are reliable and they work. For your car id definitely go with a PFC or Nistune. Nistune is a great option if you want to run a flex tune, PFC cant do this unfortunately. You also wont need R35 coils as your car wont require that much spark. stick to plug in Splitfires and save some coin. Both my GTR's run a PFC and Splitfire combo at 350kw & 420kw respectively.