SAU Community

Stock ecu on r34 gtt manual want to upgrade

hey all so i have a r34 gtt manual stock as a rock wanna have it tuned a bit my tuner is suggesting a piggyback im unsure what has everyone done what is gonna be worth it for me i had a new motor put in only got 90 000ks will do small mods in future but just wanna be able to tune it so is not so stock runs nicer 

Your best bet is a Nistune chip. It will give full ability to tune and look stock at a good price. Depending on where you are if your tuner is not keen find another tuner. The only worthwhile easy/cheap mod is a small increase in boost.  Then a better exhaust and front mounted intercooler will help a little but for a decent power lift you are looking at big money - a better turbo etc.

• Like 1

Unless your going to upgrade your turbo and fuel system, there isn't much point in 'tuning' your stock car. The factory have already done an amazing job tuning your stock ecu. 

If those small mods you mention do include chasing more power, then I'd look at getting a plug in ecu from either Haltech or Link. 

I disagree. Nistune is a great addition to the car even with a standard turbo. It will not only future proof it if she wishes to get an exhaust cooler etc. put on but will improve the shit fuel economy a stock skyline has too. Forget piggybacks that's a thing of the past. My 2c.

• Like 1

I'm with Trel.

You can pull out all the excess fuel everywhere, but especially in the R&R region of the map. You can dial in that little extra advance where it helps bring the boost on and driving off boost in gneral. You can get rid of the annoying limiters if you need/want. You can dial the idle speed down to 600rpm and save some juice at the lights (It DOES work). You can interrogate the ECU when you have problems, etc etc etc.

Worth it, just for those benefits. If you want 10+psi, it's essentially compulsory.

• Like 2

If you do get an ecu for your stock-as-a-rock gtt, I'd be interested to see back to back dyno results. Even better if the tuner is happy to print you out a graph of the stock run with the new tune laid over the top. 

We are not talking about a car with bolt ons, running 10psi then getting an ecu. I really can't see a 100% stock car benefiting much from an ecu. The many other benefits of having an ecu, I'd be surprised if the owner of a 100% stock car cared about the features the ecu provides. 

I'm very happy to be proven wrong with data though and keen to see the results. 

We're not talking about an ECU. We're talking about Nistuning the stocker, which allows you to improve all the little details that are not right, like the fact that the mixtures are too rich most places and WAAAAAY too rich once you add boost.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that my car, which is basically a stock Neo (standard AFM, standard injectors, standard turbo) would not be drivable at all without the Nistune in it. The TP cut that you get somewhere around 11 psi is absolutely f**king brutal. You also get weird random bullshit triggered by the boost sensor that you can override once it is tunable. And that's without me needing to have it just to deal with the ABS & TCS fault codes.

My car would also be a shit tonne slower and would use about 20% more fuel without the maps being cleaned up. I know this because it has been there before I did it.

• Like 2

I think we are talking about different things here. 

I'm talking about a 100% stock car, stock side mount, stock exhaust, stock boost levels, everything factory. And this is assumed, the car never sees the track (the car is 100% stock after all. I think it's almost a guarantee that someone that drives their Skyline on the track, the car would not be 100% stock).

Now this 100% stock skyline that is not driven hard, is there still value in a Nistune or standalone? 

Also worth mentioning, I'm not saying I don't think it's worth getting an ecu/Nistune. At this point in time, I'm still on stock turbo & stock injectors. But I do have a haltech, IC7 dash, I/O expander box, haltech wideband, flex sensor and a dozen other sensors. I'm usually the first person to say get an ecu - but for a 100% stock street only car? What's the point? 

• Like 1

I would suggest you could save back the cost of a Nistune in fuel consumption alone, in a couple, maybe 4 years, everything being stock and doing ~20000km/y. And it would be better to drive. So.....it's not a bad proposition.

2 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I think we are talking about different things here. 

I'm talking about a 100% stock car, stock side mount, stock exhaust, stock boost levels, everything factory. And this is assumed, the car never sees the track (the car is 100% stock after all. I think it's almost a guarantee that someone that drives their Skyline on the track, the car would not be 100% stock).

Now this 100% stock skyline that is not driven hard, is there still value in a Nistune or standalone? 

Also worth mentioning, I'm not saying I don't think it's worth getting an ecu/Nistune. At this point in time, I'm still on stock turbo & stock injectors. But I do have a haltech, IC7 dash, I/O expander box, haltech wideband, flex sensor and a dozen other sensors. I'm usually the first person to say get an ecu - but for a 100% stock street only car? What's the point? 

I can tell you with something like Toyota's 3S-GTE it makes sense, 100%. If the stock Nissan map is anything like the stock Toyota 3S-GTE map they were terrified because they had no real visibility into AFR when running rich so the sandbagging in both timing and fueling is substantial. Basically max injector duty cycle as soon as you get into boost because they have no idea if fuel pressure is low or an injector is clogged or any number of factors. If you run a wideband you can do things properly, which is to say run the engine closer to lambda .9 or so at low RPM, high load to help the engine build boost where cooling is better, then enrich at higher RPM to prevent knock. You also don't have to pick a crazy rich gas AFR like 10.5:1, you can lean out to 12.5:1 if you're keeping stock timing values.

Edited by joshuaho96

30 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

an injector is clogged

No ecu knows that, there is no feedback so that's not really a valid argument. If one injector is blocked it wil affect arf overall obviously but compensating overall isn't a good result, and will still cause issues.

Anyway, op hasn't even specified what is meant by "tune". I suspect it's meant in the literal ecu sense and more in the overall sense when you mod a car?

10 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

No ecu knows that, there is no feedback so that's not really a valid argument. If one injector is blocked it wil affect arf overall obviously but compensating overall isn't a good result, and will still cause issues.

Anyway, op hasn't even specified what is meant by "tune". I suspect it's meant in the literal ecu sense and more in the overall sense when you mod a car?

Yeah if you have a single injector failure then things are going to be bad but at least these days you can detect when something is wrong, if your map is decent you shouldn’t need more than 10-15% short term correction.