SAU Community

High beam upgrade dramas

I did my headlights a few years back:

https://www.gtr.co.uk/threads/r32-projector-hid-mod.172066/page-3

They are still going strong, but the chrome reflector has started to oxidise (yellowish) and now I just want to paint them back. I don't really want to be opening the headlights every few years to clean/rechrome etc.

The 78Works headlights caught my eye, modernise the looks of the car a lot, but would be great if someone posted a review on them.

6 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

To retain factory adjustment, you will need to make a bracket similar to this or cut up your factory projector.

Nah, Lightwerkz have conversion brackets. It couldn't be any easier than what they make it. Except for all the baking the light open and the wiring changes, and so on.

6 hours ago, CSB said:

I did my headlights a few years back:

https://www.gtr.co.uk/threads/r32-projector-hid-mod.172066/page-3

They are still going strong, but the chrome reflector has started to oxidise (yellowish) and now I just want to paint them back. I don't really want to be opening the headlights every few years to clean/rechrome etc.

The 78Works headlights caught my eye, modernise the looks of the car a lot, but would be great if someone posted a review on them.

The 78Works stuff is a Coplus headlight. You can probably get one locally and save on shipping charges. There's some threads on the "Morimoto" Corvette LED headlights which are also made by Coplus: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4152679-vette-lights-new-to-market-c6-corvette-morimoto-xb-led-headlights-group-buy.html

I contacted them a while back to see if they had an LHD variant but it sounds like they only make the RHD variant. I'm guessing that to get an LHD version of the R32 LED lights people would have to organize a non-trivial group buy.

Edited by joshuaho96

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Nah, Lightwerkz have conversion brackets. It couldn't be any easier than what they make it. Except for all the baking the light open and the wiring changes, and so on.

Ahh I see it, should make this job very convenient.  Is this new?  I was searching for a pre-made bracket like this a year ago but didn't find any.

Looks like it uses a half decent LED projector, hopefully it's a Koito copy and not the crap ones.

Would be a good upgrade from the factory 1989 halogen projectors regardless.

Personally I wouldn't bother with LED projector unless it's Koito or equivalent, D2S is cheaper and you get great results.

This is Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 IIRCIk7nQ12.jpg

1h2zYqK.jpg

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, DaymoR32 said:

So i've finally pulled the pin and ordered a set from CT Auto parts, will put up a detailed review once they arrive

https://www.ctautoparts.com.au/coplus-dual-led-projector-headlight-for-89-94-nissan-skyline-r32-gts-t-gt-r-rb25det-rb26dett.html

I saw these listed on eBay for $2k the other day and just about died of shock (at the size of the price). I tried to find them on Alibaba to see if they were available for half that....but failed.

$1300 is only a little bit more palatable. They will want to be bloody good! I too echo the demand for output shots.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

I saw these listed on eBay for $2k the other day and just about died of shock (at the size of the price). I tried to find them on Alibaba to see if they were available for half that....but failed.

$1300 is only a little bit more palatable. They will want to be bloody good! I too echo the demand for output shots.

yeah the same compnay have them listed on ebay for 2k, whereas if you go on their website they are $1300. 

They have been out of stock for ages. i bought a set and now they are out of stock again. 

Will definitely get beam pattern shots etc (as best i can with an iphone 11 pro) 

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

They don't list on Alibaba, probably because they're actually a company based in Taiwan: https://www.coplus.com.tw/home

I am keen on the results too @DaymoR32

I have been too tight to buy a set but have also been considering a HID conversion. Don't know what the popo would be more upset about: HIDs or something they thought were HIDs.

1300 dollarydoos is a lot but N1s are pretty awful

11 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

I am keen on the results too @DaymoR32

I have been too tight to buy a set but have also been considering a HID conversion. Don't know what the popo would be more upset about: HIDs or something they thought were HIDs.

1300 dollarydoos is a lot but N1s are pretty awful

yeah $1300 is a lot but i did offset the cost by clearing some garage space of old parts from my previous 32, i've been hovering over the buy button for a while (as i'm a tight yorkshireman).

I also have N1 headlights which are horrific at night, so even if these new lights are terrible im sure they'll still be a bit better ?

Morimoto HID retro into original projector housings makes a lot of sense.

Back in the day, when almost no cars had HIDs, anyone who foolishly put HIDs into original housings (and even original projectors, as would be obvious given that there were no replacement projector options anyway) stood out like dogs' balls. Nowadays, nearly every new car >$25k has HIDs and many many are poorly adjusted and flash all sorts of shit light at people and anyone with a retro is not going to stand out. And, with an R32 with projectors, you can point to the fact that you still have projectors and say to the cop, "well, these things did have halogen projectors from the factory you know, so just because you can see projector lenses here doesn't mean I've jammed HIDs into it....." and hope that they buy it, should you ever actually get hauled over.

When I can get my shit together, this is what I will be doing.

In the meantime, all I have is the best white halogen bulbs you can buy, relays connected directly behind the globes and a fat power feed direct from main power to those relays to maximise the volts and watts. It's fine. It could be better, but it's fine. The high beams have more than sufficient reach and low beams simply don't really matter.