SAU Community

Cabin Air Filter Help Nothing Can Fit R34

rahilp

Hi there i pulled apart my cabin air filter to replace i cant seem to find one small enough one to fit. The old one that was in there already was one that the old owner has cut but wasn't a proper filter and has half fallen apart so cleaning it will be pointless

The part number AY684-NS002 cabin filter that mention in all the thread is way to thick to fit in mine the measurement of the old filter was 245mm x 95mm x 10mm thick I cant find anything that is thin enough to fit (10mm /1cm thick)

The video i posted below is similar to what I'm encountering that a person posted and for the life of me cant find anything suitable to fit

Skip to the 1 min 30 sec mark to see the filter tray assembly and you will see the issue

Edited by rahilp

8 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Seems to fit everyone else's R34......

Yeah it weird theres like an element that takes up most of the space if it wasnt for that a normal one would fit

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Does that element actually have to be there? Is it part of a cold climate options pack or something? Piss it off and throw the fat filter in?

So these are the element things im not sure what they are

95712941_528371491175103_8677576178518720512_n.jpg

96625389_2629683673934340_8010633633658306560_n.jpg

• Like 1

So there are also two different parts on that Kudos page

AY684-NS002 'Pollen Only'

AY685-NS002 'Pollen, odour and allergen'

Interestingly enough - the diagrams for those are a little bit different:

AY684-NS002:

https://static.amayama.com/schemeparts/1567684350575_big.jpg

AY685-NS002:

https://static.amayama.com/schemeparts/1568682097546_big.jpg

But I think that's just a red-herring - as these filters are both the same size/thickness and fit the same.

Looking at your filters / those in the video - they're very very different.  From previous threads on this:

post-2420-1252745725.jpg

Which is far more consistent with:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YgHVI_607sk/VuvbcXszgOI/AAAAAAAADyo/d_xmhh3_9sc6YyvOQSKmsFI0r-0pwSl2w/s640/NissanSkylineR34_CabinAirFilter_Manual1.jpg

Another interesting note - in the video, we see cabling or something coming out of the filter:

eTC0rNh.png

Which isn't consistent with other threads on this topic:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v5OHYjMx3SE/WFEMJjszwlI/AAAAAAAAEcU/lA6gVFPF-tAJzrs5zTWNUVFAUEMLtjUJwCLcB/s640/skyline.meshur.com-R34-112.jpg

So - something is a bit different/weird here.   It may be you'll need a different housing to fit those style of filters.

I poked through diagrams and stuff and couldn't see any versions of filters like that - but maybe someone else has an idea or has seen this before.  The 'cold climate options pack' perhaps that another poster mentioned?

• Like 1

Well, searching that part number online came up listed as 'Permanently out of stock'.

Googling for '503756-0120' definitely finds lots of images of these filters!

It also lead to this thread on gtr.co.uk (https://www.gtr.co.uk/threads/r34-pollen-filter.58381/#post-515069 ) :

Got the 2 white filters delivered today from Nissan as above, and guess what?
When I took off the panel as Ian describes above, the 2 filters inside are NOT white paper concertina type. They have electrical connections to them with what looks like an oval " electrical coil" in the filter housing and a black mesh on the other side. The housing for the 2 filters is exactly as ian has said on his site.

There is NO white paper type filter to be seen anywhere.

This filter looks like an anti static type which works by the use of the 12v system. These look mega expensive. So I have vacuumed them and put them back.

Now I have 2 brand new paper concertina type filters for sale, since my R34 GTR has this electrical type filter. I wonder if the white paper filter is for the GTT only?

The part number on these electrical type filters is 503756-0120 then underneath 96602.

As posted by R33 vspec

"I asked this a while ago, and got no reply. I had to do a bit of guess work myself!!!

Have you got the pollen filters from Nissan? I have the part# if you need it"

Did yours have these electrical type filters or the white paper ones as Ian describes on his site? If you have an R34 GTR, the why is your filter possibly diferent? Is this a UK spec mod for the R34 GTR?

I have taken some pics if anyone needs then to show these electrical filters. They look to be the same size as the paper ones.

The thread continues on talking about these 'electrical type' filters that use anti-static - and how impossible to get / expensive they are (and that was 2006). So I guess that answers what you have, at least.

This image shows apparently an extra bit in the AC display apparently relating to it:

https://s.auto.drom.ru/1/comments/95/94416.jpg

And there is some interesting translated Russian about possibly a Laurel and the operation of this particular style of filter - and that they're impossible to get / find.

Anyway, it sounds like if you're not happy with the filters you have now - it would be easiest to source the housing for the regular filters, and use those instead?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jrm said:

Well, searching that part number online came up listed as 'Permanently out of stock'.

Googling for '503756-0120' definitely finds lots of images of these filters!

It also lead to this thread on gtr.co.uk (https://www.gtr.co.uk/threads/r34-pollen-filter.58381/#post-515069 ) :

The thread continues on talking about these 'electrical type' filters that use anti-static - and how impossible to get / expensive they are (and that was 2006). So I guess that answers what you have, at least.

This image shows apparently an extra bit in the AC display apparently relating to it:

https://s.auto.drom.ru/1/comments/95/94416.jpg

And there is some interesting translated Russian about possibly a Laurel and the operation of this particular style of filter - and that they're impossible to get / find.

Anyway, it sounds like if you're not happy with the filters you have now - it would be easiest to source the housing for the regular filters, and use those instead?

Hey yeah i did find that Russian post, but yeah seems like their impossible to find, i wont give up just yet

Thanks for the help

• 8 months later...
On 12/05/2020 at 8:49 PM, jrm said:

This image shows apparently an extra bit in the AC display apparently relating to it

I went to change mine today and discovered i have these electrostatic ones too. When they're plugged in, i get that image on the climate control.  not sure if it means "filter is functional", or "clean filter".  I'm just going to give the filter part a wash and the static coil an air blow i think. EDIT: on second thoughts, the honeycomb filter is fibrous and looks like it wont stand up to a wash.  Interesting, the japanese writing on the side of the coils says "warning: do not disassemble, risk of electric shock". So i presume the control module for them bumps the 12V up to something much higher to create the ionisation effect!

Edited by ob1

• 2 weeks later...

Dude I hate when people create topics like this when you can just search ‘r34 cabin filter’ on google and get results. Cabin air filter.com.au has some for the r34 skyline. I bought it and installed it and it’s perfect

25 minutes ago, IM-32-FK said:

Dude I hate when people create topics like this when you can just search ‘r34 cabin filter’ on google and get results. Cabin air filter.com.au has some for the r34 skyline. I bought it and installed it and it’s perfect

You obviously didn't read the post ....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For anyone out there looking for this part, ajudge is correct, these are micrguard puretron filters. Hard to come by, but Nissan sell a pair of thin filter replacements as a kit. Part number 27494-5L826 and can be ordered from USA or Japan. I paid $200 including postage from USA as they had stock. Nissan dealer wanted $300-$400 to order in from Japan.

See post below showing the kit and installation which also shows how to "reset" your filters (you'll need to google web translate):

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is old but it was a godsend for me. I thought I'd add my 2 cents for anyone trying to do this themselves.

I found the part on Amayama here and it was delivered within 7 days for < $100 AUD, breakdown is as follows:

• Nissan 27494-5L826 - FILTER KIT, AIR PURIFIER & CARBON $65.97 AUD
  • Shipping: EMS International $32.79 AUD
  • Total $98.76 AUD

The video above was helpful, but I couldn't find a decent translation there for how long to press the reset etc. I found this guide to cleaning and replacing these which Google translated the page pretty perfectly. 

Hopefully this helps someone struggling.

• Like 3