SAU Community

Easiest way to increase boost on R34 GT-T Series 2?

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to increase the boost on my R34 GT-T series 2 and I was wondering what the easiest way to go about it would be.

I’ve found a few threads and it seems like the stock turbo can go to around 11 PSI safely? My car is a series 2 with the Garrett turbo, can these be boosted higher?

What would I need exactly to get started? I’m not looking for a full setup, and would prefer something quick and easy for now.

Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful forum.

This has been discussed a billion times and is the simplest thing ever in the world of older  turbo cars.

get a manual boost tee. There it is. The answer. Then google how to install boost tee. Then put it on.

37 minutes ago, viper2002 said:

I was wondering what the easiest way to go about it would be.

27 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Get a manual boost tee. 

The easiest way is to remove the pressure reference source off the wastegate. Free power mod 

........... Ben is spot on and since I am bored here is a link to install one

I think the installation should be quite straight forward, my only concern is getting the right boost level. Is there a good tutorial for this around?

Many of the tutorials I have found don’t go into detail, aren’t for the R34 or have broken images and links, hence posting here.

17 minutes ago, viper2002 said:

I think the installation should be quite straight forward, my only concern is getting the right boost level. Is there a good tutorial for this around?

Many of the tutorials I have found don’t go into detail, aren’t for the R34 or have broken images and links, hence posting here.

No exact way, each boost tee/car is diffrent. Need to drive the car and I generally use 4th gear up the highway.
start at 2 clicks and go from there.
Back when I started playing with turbo cars (2003/4ish) there were no tutorials and we didn't have the internet where i lived. Good old fashioned she be right and lots of broken stuff later...... 
Upping the boost on a stock car isn't really going to gain anything decent the scheme of things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viper2002 said:

I haven’t found any topics for what boost level is safe on the Series 2 Garrett turbos.

There is no Garrett turbo. There is a Hitachi turbo. There is nothing Garrett about it.

The safe boost limit for the turbo is not important. That's because the ECU will shit itself and make your life miserable before you even get there. FWIW, the ceramic turbine on the stock turbo is likely to self destruct at any boost over 12 psi. Might last years at 12 psi. Might die the next day. At 14 psi, it might also last years, or might die on the first boost run. It's a lottery, best avoided by not exceeding 11 or 12 psi.

As to the rest of the car, the stock ECU will start making the air fuel ratio ridiculously rich as you go over 10 psi (stock boost is 7). By the time you're at 11 you're probably going slower than when you were at 9. The ECU will also pull timing more than a 14 year old with a Hot 4s magazine with a slapper draped over a Honda on the cover. That will also contribute to the slows.

And to top it off, as you get up towards about 12 psi the ECU will do horrible things like completely cut the ignition when it reckons the signal from the AFM is too high, or if it detects too much from the ECU's boost sensor. There are NO WORKARUNDS for this that do not involve dealing directly with the ECU. You can Nistune the ECU, or you can replace it completely. But you have to do it if you want more.

And.....all of this has been posted on these very forums about a billion times. So I don't know why I have repeated it.

• Like 1

I have the money for a full system, but I’m not going to drop 5k when that can be spent on my Viper instead.

All I wanted was a quick way to increase the boost for my 34 which is daily driven. Is an aftermarket boost gauge necessary? Or would the stock one be enough for a ‘close enough’ reading?

A boost gauge is not needed at all. Turn the boost up until it goes slower and blows huge plumes of black smoke. then turn it up a little bit more. If the turbine doesn't explode into little fragments that you can collect as souvenirs from the cat converter, then turn the boost up a little bit more.

• Like 2

Pretty sure there is actually a Garrett S2 turbo, like all S2 stuff it is mind alteringly rare though.

The TLDR is this isn't worth it, there is no easy fix, and the stock ECU is son of rajab and master of all. If you want to max out the stock setup to any real degree the ECU is the place to start, but unfortunately a combo of stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock exhaust, stock air intake, all of this is really not rated very much above stock power at all.

And of course if you change it all, the sky is the limit.

The GTR's can make more on stock gear because the stock [all of the above] is far more capable, but still behind any aftermarket offering in [all of the above]

It's not worth doing basically - Car is worth more sold if there's a Viper in the garage lol.

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

Pretty sure there is actually a Garrett S2 turbo, like all S2 stuff it is mind alteringly rare though.

The TLDR is this isn't worth it, there is no easy fix, and the stock ECU is son of rajab and master of all. If you want to max out the stock setup to any real degree the ECU is the place to start, but unfortunately a combo of stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock exhaust, stock air intake, all of this is really not rated very much above stock power at all.

And of course if you change it all, the sky is the limit.

The GTR's can make more on stock gear because the stock [all of the above] is far more capable, but still behind any aftermarket offering in [all of the above]

It's not worth doing basically - Car is worth more sold if there's a Viper in the garage lol.

1786908306_images(12).jpeg.14fa3be353fb340be3dcf3fc75b25509.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

Yuh, but....... whilst they might have had a Garrett compressor cover, I thought that they were still the same Hitachi core, with the same ceramic turbine and nylon compressor - which is something that Garrett themselves weren't f**king with at the time.

My Series 2 did indeed have a stock Garrett turbo. It had a alloy compressor wheel but had a ceramic turbine wheel. I've got a few pictures of it saved somewhere - it had OP6 cast into the exhaust housing

With a front mount intercooler, 3" exhaust and nistune it made 190kw at 10psi. It made next to no gain at 12psi, so we kept it at 10

I had good success with the Turbo Tech boost valve (still use one today)