SAU Community

R33 GTR front axle shafts

Hello,

I bought some time ago rebuild axle shafts for r33 gtr from one seller from Japan. We fit them yesterday and they are very harsh when turning left or right on slow speeds to stop, like parking at the supermarket etc... Driving streight at high speeds no problem, but turning is a hell. So i take them out from fear of damaging my gearbox or differentials. What is going on with this? Is my Atessa going nuts? We check them out and  the axes look different at the marked  red spots. So i guess the wheel sensors are getting nuts because of this? 

By the way what is this thing in red spot and what is this for?

I am thinking maybe axes are from different model r32 or r34 or non vspec? My car is vspec with a-LSD. 

IMG_20200514_204841.jpg

Edited by Tomak

The circled section is wheel speed sensor pickup. Being an active LSD there's a very good chance the signal is all wrong and the Atessa is trying to lock up the diff. The teeth do look quite different.  I'm not sure if the trigger rings are removable. That could fix the issue if you can swap them over. 

How about disconnecting ABS sensors? I read these are ABS sensor rings. I dont use ABS in my car for long time and the pump is out already, maybe i shoud take out the sensors from my wheels?

48 minutes ago, Tomak said:

I read these are ABS sensor rings.

They are.

The 4x ABS wheel speed sensors are also a significant input into the ATTESSA CU and the A-LSD.

I wouldn't have thought that messing with the front ones would cause the A-LSD to freak out, but anything is possible.

If there is nothing physically wrong with the CV joints in those shafts, then it is fair to assume that the different widths of the lands on the tone rings is responsible for the freak out.

Yes i know this already, the ABS sensor rings are different. Too bad the seller from Japan posted the products online with correct sensor rings and sold me different ones. I really want this axles but i am affraid i will have to put a case on paypal then and send it back to him and get my money back. What else i can do? I heard these rings are not changable.... any ideas? I was thinking to take out mines and put on his axles..... I am waiting for his response regarding this issue what he can tell me about this.

The h

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Try to get a refund. What is wrong with your half shafts? Did you look into getting them rebuilt locally?

No i did not yet but i have only bad experiences rebulding skyline parts in my country locally because we dont have this cars here. Car is vibrating at hight speeds, some losses on joints.  Never changed shafts yet but i already changed everything else in drivetriain including gearbox over past 5 years.

And it happens to me again even from Japan i got bad product rebuild. I was always happy from used OEM parts, all rebuilds are trash.Was planning to buy from England used shafts at the same price so will buy used. 

Edited by Tomak

50 minutes ago, Tomak said:

i have only bad experiences rebulding skyline parts in my country

But....a CV is a CV is a CV. If there is anyone that can rebuild any CV in your country then that is all you need. It's not a tough mechanical problem.

33 GTR onwards use the thin teeth and the ABS  tone rings are 46 tooth front and back. 32 uses the wide tooth. 

The ABS tone rings are able to be purchased separately from Nissan and are interchangeable.

3 hours ago, BK said:

33 GTR onwards use the thin teeth and the ABS  tone rings are 46 tooth front and back. 32 uses the wide tooth. 

The ABS tone rings are able to be purchased separately from Nissan and are interchangeable.

ok thats a good news, my mechanic said it cant be changed. So i will find the shop that can change this in my city then

Front R33 GTR abs sensor ring part number is

47970-23U00

They are about $50 each, or over $100 each if you get ripped off by an American seller. Youtube ABS tone ring replacement, there are videos on it.

The reason for going to a thinner tooth is to have a bigger gap between the sensor teeth. If the gap is too small the sensor can skip teeth in the sensor tooth count detection, depending on the air gap from sensor to teeth. It's like a hall effect crank trigger. If this happens the signal will not be correct.

You can definitely use the later thin teeth on 32s as well, as they were designed for the wide tooth, small gap. So using the thin tooth, big gap setup improves accuracy of the signal on a 32 as they are still all 46 tooth, regardless of tooth width and spacing gap, so frequency signal ends up the same.

Using a wide tooth, small gap (like the left one, a 32 style ring) on the 33s onward would more than likely cause signal issues, with tooth skipping very likely. This ring is the only difference between a 32 and a 33 shaft.

On 17/05/2020 at 2:24 AM, BK said:

Front R33 GTR abs sensor ring part number is

47970-23U00

They are about $50 each, or over $100 each if you get ripped off by an American seller. Youtube ABS tone ring replacement, there are videos on it.

OK, thanks a lot! 

I bet that was Terrafirma. Don't ever buy genuine Nissan stuff from the US, always a rip off.

Japan - JPcarparts, Nengun or RHDJapan

Australia - Amayama

It's all coming from Japan anyway, and I'm sure all of them will ship to Europe. I deal with all of them. They're like $42 AUD on Amayama.

For service to Australia and the competitive pricing, most of my genuine Nissan gear now goes through Amayama or RHDJapan. RHD always quicker, Amayama mostly a bit cheaper, in Australia.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/4797023u00

@BK a few years back before the GT-R hype fully hit the USA it was the best place to buy parts!  I got a brand new 26 head for my car for $900 delivered about 7 years ago!  That was straight from a Nissan dealership. I got my CP pistons from there too.  Aussie dollar was a lot stronger back then which made a big difference!  Can’t say I’ve bought anything out of there for a few years now.
Amayama is definitely a great place to buy from.  I’ve ordered through there many times.